Official Review: Vampires at Easter, Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Vampires at Easter, Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vampires at Easter, Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vampires at Easter is a children’s book written by R.F. Kristi and illustrated by Jorge Valle. It is Book 6 in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat series and can be easily read as a standalone story. Inca is a Siberian kitty who runs a detective agency consisting of several cats, two dogs, and one very smart hamster (yes, this is a work of fiction). She and her feline siblings live with their human mom Missy in London.

When Missy is hired to do an Easter catering job in Bran Castle in Transylvania, the kitties and their hamster buddy travel there with her and Aunt Florence. They befriend Katzki, a Calico cat, while searching for some missing cheese. Katzi is in a race against time to save his human friend Dracco from turning into a full-fledged vampire. Can Inca and her crew help rescue young Dracco from this dreaded transformation before it’s too late? Twists and turns abound as the detectives try to help their new friends.

I enjoyed reading this entertaining story which has just the right dose of creepiness without being super scary. The book is written in first person in a diary format, although it reads more like a straight narrative than a diary. Inca is a likable main character who is protective of her siblings and a steady leader. There is a large cast of characters to keep track of, although Charlotte the hamster shines with her sharp-witted mind.

The main plot doesn’t emerge until almost the end of the first half of the story. Since this is a children’s book, I think it would have been better to have a tighter plot right from the start. Otherwise, a child’s mind can start to wander, especially in a 176-page book. On a lighter note, the scattered, whimsical illustrations add pizazz without making the story feel like a picture book. The depiction of the young “vampire-to-be” is particularly cute.

The biggest gripe I had with this story is the high number of grammatical and spelling errors. There are missing commas and end quotation marks in dialogue, missing periods, and missing words, among other errors. The author would certainly benefit from the services of a good editor.

I would recommend this book to children who enjoy creepy stories and animal characters who display human traits. It is difficult to judge the age range best suited for this story. While the subject matter and characters would appeal to children ages 6-9, the long length of the book might prove challenging for their attention span (even as a read-aloud). As for older children ages 10-12, I think they would find it a bit juvenile for their tastes.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Although it is an interesting, creative read, the errors and plot issues prevent me from awarding the highest rating. The themes of friendship, helping others, and working together to solve a problem are a nice way to reinforce good values in children. Kids are sure to love Inca and her lively cohorts in this fun book.

Vampires at Easter, Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kid's book revolving around animals' detective agency sounds cute. Inca sounds like a great character! A story that isn't too creepy makes it a good read for kids. Too bad about the grammatical and spelling errors and the slow beginning. At least the illustrations enhance the story. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! It's a little frustrating to see the 6th book in a series have numerous errors. You would think the author would use an editor by this point.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've read several of the 'Snoopy Cat' books and even reviewed one, so I know I'll love this one, as well. I also love all things vampire, so that makes me even more interested! It's a shame about the numerous errors, too; I honestly don't recall the editing being that bad in the books I read, *shrug*... In any event, thanks for the introduction; now I have another book to read for fun!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Ms Tri, A lot of the errors were missing punctuation in dialogue so they weren't too distracting. Still, there were also other spelling and other grammatical errors. Still, the story was fun even though it took a long time for the main plot to emerge.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I greatly dislike errors in a children's book. However, I have to admit that this sounds like one I want to pick up and read. It seems like such a cute idea. An almost scary story. :) Thanks for the review. I always love the information that you give.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thanks for the review! This looks like a fun little book. To bad that the plot issues and other errors drag it down a bit.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Animal investigators - that reminds me of the show "Wonder Pets".
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Having read one of the Snoopy Cat tales myself, I know exactly what you mean about the plot issues and editing errors. The author comes up with some fun storylines though! Thanks for a great review :)
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I reviewed the 5th book and wasn't very impressed. Errors are never appealing especially in children's books. The author needs to get them an editor, especially since they seemed convinced to continue with the stories.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Kandscreeley - I like your term "almost scary." :) Vampire themes usually creep me out, so I liked that Dracco and his uncle were actually the "good guys" in the book. AmySmiles - I agree about the errors. Having errors in a children's book is particuarly bad, in my opinion; it sets a bad example for kids who are learning spelling and correct grammar.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I have read good things about Inca and its detective friends. I love cats and I'll probably take time to read this book though my age is way beyond your recommended audience' age range. The illustration on the cover seems spooky. So bad to hear about the errors. Thanks for the detailed review.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

I love this series, I am going to read this book.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, Bookowlie, the age range is difficult to pinpoint. Even I would like to meet Dracco (surely taken from Dracula). Too bad R. F. Kristi didn't sweep the book for errors. She should as I'm sure Inca already has a loyal fandom.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina - It's difficult to figure out what children's age group is best suited for this story. I guess parents could read aloud small sections to a younger child, but it would take a long time to finish the book. I am not sure a child would be able to keep track of the plot over a long period of individual read-alouds. The book is too long and involved for kids who are 7 or 8, and I think kids who are older than that will find the story too juvenile. I guess it all depends on the child. Some kids are advanced readers for their age.

Return to “Children's Books”