Review by Maflex1 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Maflex1
2018 Reading Goal: 500
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maflex1.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Review by Maflex1 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Maflex1 » 01 May 2018, 07:25

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children for me are gifts from God. However, they can be very sweet one moment and very troublesome and disturbing the next. Especially when they can't clearly express their needs well. Teaching them to talk, read and write can be very difficult and stressful and every tool that helps make this process less complicated is a delight to parents. This is what the book Toni The Superhero by R. D Base seeks to do.

Toni is a kid with special abilities who likes to do normal everyday activities like normal kids do but still saves the world. He likes to play, sleep, clean, eat and many more. His life style as a superhero will not only teach his just how to save the world but also how to enjoy everyday activities that parents sometimes struggle to teach their kids. Such as dusting their rooms.

The language used is very simple and the sentences are kept relatively short so that kids can easily read and memorize the words. The illustrations are also very clear making it simple to understand the sentences. The colours used in the illustrations are bold and bright which attracts kids attention. For that I'll say good illustration work done by Betty Hefke.There are no typing errors so obviously the book has been well edited to suit children's reading and the pictures are clear thus it can easily be related to the sentences.

However, some of the pictures covers two pages thus if you are using a device such as pdf devices to view it, you may have the sentence on one page and the illustration on another page. Obviously it's designed to be read from the paperback version. Also there were few blank pages which could be omitted. Other than that the book is great. The sentences are kept to four words maximum per sentence so it's very simple to read and finish. This will encourage children to easily complete one book and go to the next book as it's a series.

I rate it 4 out of 4 stars because it clearly serves the purpose for which it was written. As a mother of 3 kids, R. D Base obviously has experience in teaching her kids to read and she portrays this in her writing. After reading the book I couldn't agree less that the repetitive and simplistic nature of the sentences helps kid to learn easily.

I believe it's a must have for all parents who want to teach their kids how to read and understand simple sentences. Being a mother myself, it's definitely a plus on my shelf. Thank you R. D Base. For sharing your teaching secrets with the world through Toni The Superhero series.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Maflex1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”