Review by sandyallison1 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sandyallison1
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Giving Tree
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandyallison1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by sandyallison1 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by sandyallison1 » 29 Apr 2018, 13:45

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What kid wouldn’t want to be a superhero? Toni The Superhero, is a colorful children’s book, written by R D Base and Debbie J Hefke. In this first book of their series, readers are introduced to young Toni who is an ordinary boy with extraordinary powers. This first installment will leave young readers wanting to learn more of Toni and his adventures.

Toni is a young boy who happens to be a superhero. So what if his job is too save the world? Even superheroes need some downtime. And that’s just what Toni demonstrates in this adorable easy read. Though Toni may dress differently from the average boy and has extraordinary responsibilities, he’s your typical kid, with the same interests as most kids his age. Toni’s superpowers never get in the way of him enjoying his childhood. He loves to read books and play. He also loves going to the playground with other kids, even though he’s the only one who can fly. You can’t beat that! Toni’s character will have children inspired and dreaming of their own extraordinary lives. Through Toni’s adventures, readers will learn anything is possible as long as your inner child is fulfilled.

As a first grade teacher and mother of two boys, I enjoyed reading this simple and well illustrated children’s book. While reading, I couldn’t help but think of the multiple lessons I could implement in my own classroom. I am certain my students will enjoy reading all of Toni’s adventures as they compare and relate to this animated character. How fun would it be for students to imagine themselves as a superhero? What quests would they endure? What would change in their lives and what would stay the same? Writing lessons would be fun for teachers as they teach or review the sight words and juicy words used in this story. Children can then write their own superhero stories, using their own names in the title.

Teachers will love having this book in their classroom. Children will have fun brainstorming and predicting Toni’s life as a superhero. This early reader book is sure to appeal to all children, while learning to read. The words in the text are simple and have a repetitive nature, making it easy for children to catch on. At the end of the book, the author states, Toni is terrific. This is a great avenue to introduce and learn more about acrostic poems. Students can then create their own acrostic poems, using the letters in their names.

The sentence structures makes this book a great first read for beginning learners. This book is great tool to use and reinforce other skills as well. Such as sight words, and other forms of grammar. These words can be highlighted in the text for children to easily recognize. Even children who are not at the early reading stages will have a grand time viewing the fun illustrations of Toni’s adventures. Also, it is a great picture book for preschool classrooms.
My rating for this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for all ages, classrooms, and libraries. With the phenomenal illustrations children will have no problem engaging themselves in the story, as they read independently. I also believe that child psychologists and therapists could have a field day using this book in their sessions, due to the many avenues the story leads for discussion.

Toni is a modern-day character that todays children can connect and relate to easily. This book series is guaranteed to motivate the young and old as we are reminded of one important purpose in life. Remaining a child at heart is sure to bring us joy, even while saving the world!

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like sandyallison1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”