Review by LaceyFisk -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
LaceyFisk
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: The Rules of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laceyfisk.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by LaceyFisk -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by LaceyFisk » 28 Apr 2018, 23:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every day I sit down with my 2-year-old daughter and read books with her. We spend time in each book discussing things outside of the words on the page. How many ducks do you see? Can you find the kitty? What is that little boy doing? It’s been an absolute delight to watch her observational abilities grow! I wish we’d had a book like Toni the Superhero in our library.

Toni the Superhero is a beautifully simple book full of short, easy to understand sentences. Toni is a superhero, but what do superheroes do when they aren’t busy saving the world? Do superheroes still have to clean? Do they play? Toni the Superhero follows Toni through a regular day in the life, and shows little ones that superheroes like to dance, too!

I love the scope of educational avenues this book provides. While it boasts a nice, simple story to read to your little one right before bed, the most amazing part of this book is that it allows little ones to identify with Toni. Toni likes to play. Do you like to play? Absolutely! What is Toni doing on this page? Jumping! You can easily expand the discussion to include counting and I spy. How many friends do you see? Can you spot the oranges?

As your child grows, they’ll love learning to read with the easy beginner sentences throughout the book. The book clearly follows a “See Spot run,” format which is a wonderful tool in helping younger children learn. This book is intended for little ones who still love being read to, as well as those who are just beginning to learn to read. It is not intended for children who are already reading well or older children. The writing is too simplistic for older children, as there is little variation and they would quickly become bored.

While the book as a whole is almost too simplistic, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Toni the Superhero reaches far beyond the four word sentences filling its pages. Toni the Superhero shows our little ones that even our heroes do the same things we do each day. It provides an easy beginner template for learning how to read, and each action is accompanied with a beautiful illustration. The cover art perfectly portrays the art found inside. This book is the perfect length for little ones with short attention spans.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like LaceyFisk's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”