Review by Bookwormgirl1 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Review by Bookwormgirl1 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Bookwormgirl1 » 27 Apr 2018, 11:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is a fun book for young children just learning to read. While this book does not have a real plot or story line to follow, it shows young Toni as he goes through his day doing things a normal child would do, such as swimming, sweeping, eating, and dancing. The entire book is just Toni doing these simple things.

Each page contains one sentence describing Toni’s current activity. Each page is also a fun, unique picture showing Toni doing that activity. In these pictures, Toni is shown wearing his superhero costume of gloves, boots, glasses, and a cape. In many of the pictures, Toni can be seen interacting with other people, such as his friends and his mother. Although Toni is wearing a superhero costume, the other children don’t seem to be intimidated or surprised by his powers. They simply act as normal children would and play together. This dynamic between Toni and the children is a nice touch because it shows Toni as just another kid, despite his superhero status.

Each picture is drawn with many colors. These colors really stand out and will catch a child’s attention. In each picture, Toni is smiling or laughing. He enjoys himself even in the pictures that show him doing chores. The portrayal of these menial tasks will put a good image of chores into a young child’s mind from an early age, possibly making the child’s own chores seem less unpleasant.

I rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 starts. I give it this rating because this is a fun, creative children’s book. Under normal standards, this book wouldn’t be highly rated because of the simplicity of the words and the lack of plot, but this book is meant to be read by children who are just learning to read, and it does a very nice job at keeping the sentences simple and straight-forward enough for a child to understand.

I would recommend this book to any young children learning to read or even to any older children struggling to read and understand storylines. I think that in both cases, this book will help the child to progress and learn to enjoy reading. Parents with children too young to be reading themselves can read this book to them as a good introduction to literature and reading. The children will benefit greatly if they follow along with their parents, learning to recognize words and patterns for a time when they themselves will be learning to read.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bookwormgirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

The BookWorm Nagham
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham » 06 Jun 2018, 03:03

Bookwormgirl1 wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2018, 11:38
Although Toni is wearing a superhero costume, the other children don’t seem to be intimidated or surprised by his powers. They simply act as normal children would and play together. This dynamic between Toni and the children is a nice touch because it shows Toni as just another kid, despite his superhero status.
Great review! I really liked this part ^. I think showing Toni wearing a superhero costume playing with other kids and helping his mother, without using his powers, sets a great example for kids. It makes those activities more appealing, and it shows that everyone of us can be a superhero! I also reviewed this book, check out my review if you like.

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Cotwani » 28 Jun 2018, 04:58

I like the author's idea of helping young kids love their chores since a superhero also does such chores with a smile! Great review
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”