Review by amullins516 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
amullins516
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amullins516.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by amullins516 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by amullins516 » 27 Apr 2018, 11:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a picture book about a young boy named Toni. The story follows Toni throughout his daily life and chronicles his favorite activities outside of being a superhero. This picture book is intended for young children just beginning to learn how to read. I gave Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars.

I highly enjoyed this children’s book overall. It is obvious that the author is a parent herself and that she had her children in mind while composing this book. The reading level is simple enough for brand new readers to work with. I do wish there was a bit more sentence diversity, as most of the sentences state, “Toni likes to....” However, I do understand that simplicity and repetition was the intention with this book. It is definitely easy for children to keep up with the simple wording, and I could see this book being used to teach children how to spell, as well as how to read. The only grammatical errors I have found are two words with unnecessary capitalization.

I also appreciated the illustrations. Drawn by Debbie Hefke, this book presents simple drawings with bright colors, perfect for keeping young readers entertained and engaged with the story. The illustrations were consistent throughout the book, making the story easy to follow. I also felt like the illustrations gave a good discussion point between parents and children. Children can point out the different colors or objects and even compare the objects in the book to objects in the child's home. There are many opportunities for engagement outside of the story itself, and the illustrations certainly lend a hand to that interaction.

I did not find many flaws with this book. Aside from the two small errors previously listed, which may have been stylistic choices, the grammar and punctuation were flawless. The syntax level was simple enough for the beginning reader, and the pictures were consistent and engaging.

I could definitely see myself using this book to teach my own son how to read. The author definitely has a clear vision of her audience, and it is reflected well throughout this picture book. I believe this will be a great tool for parents and teachers teaching children how to read. It also sets a good example for getting children active and teaching them good manners by following Toni’s actions. If you are or know of a parent with young children, I would certainly recommend this book to them.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like amullins516's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”