Review by RR Wildstone -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
RR Wildstone
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 801
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rr-wildstone.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by RR Wildstone -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by RR Wildstone » 26 Apr 2018, 23:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a very great book for preschool children around 3-5 years old especially for those in the first stage of learning how to read. Unlike any other superhero books that usually include goal, resolution, value, or problem solution, this book simply aims to teach children to read and beautifully reaches its purpose. The book does not mention any of his super powers at all, instead showed how terrific the character is by doing ordinary things. The only attributes that describe superhero title was the costume he wore such as cape, mask, and his special costume. Even then, there are some scenes when Toni wears ordinary suit with t-shirt and pants.

I really like how the talented author, R.D. Base, creates a story plot that really reflects kids life who likes to play costume and pretend to be superhero while in real life doing ordinary things such as eating, reading, and playing. I think this book also bring out value of helping others by rescuing animals and doing chores.

I used to work a lot with kids and sometimes it’s difficult for me to find a suitable reading material for certain age. By using simple present tense from beginning until the end, it is easy for children to keep up with the story. The author also chose the words wisely, so that kids are able to memorize and pronounce easily.

Another credit goes to illustrator, Debbie Hefke, who manages to create an attractive illustration. Moreover, it serves its purpose to describe and translate the words to children. It really helps children to understand the words they read. The picture shows the activity clearly. What I love the most is at eating part. The statement only stated: Toni likes to eat, but the picture spoke Tony likes eating healthy food through some items on the table such as sandwich, fruits, vegetables, and apple juice. Everything so colorful, energetic, yet simple without many useless attributes. Even though the story doesn’t explain Toni’s special ability, the illustrator still gives meaning to the title by drawing ‘flying Toni’ in the beginning and the end of the book.

I think this book deserved 4 out of 4 stars. The author and illustrator collaborated well together. The character is very likable and its name also familiar. Most of the texts are easy to pronounce and the picture really attractive. This book is really engaging for children and highly recommended for parents and mentors who are looking for reading material for their children.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like RR Wildstone's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”