Review by Lgs1089 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Lgs1089
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Lgs1089 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Lgs1089 » 26 Apr 2018, 17:00

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero is a charming children’s picture book written by R.D. Base. Base lives in Maryland, and is a mother to three young boys. She’s taken up writing Toni’s adventures for children who specifically cannot read yet and stresses the importance of simplistic writing for a target audience aged four and below.

Don’t be deceived by the title, as this piece is not about Toni’s superhero adventures but about getting to know Toni as he engages in ordinary day-to-day activities. The diction is comprised of simple, declarative sentences with a didactic purpose of offering young children a conceptual learning experience. Three to four-word sentences are singularly paired with vivid illustrations that provide a visual representation of each action depicted in the story. There are a couple of occurrences where the illustrations stretch across two pages without any use of language to encourage creative discussion. The simplicity of the story and vibrant illustrations are used to assist children in the transformation process. The idea is to provide a multi-sensory experience that helps advance the child from looking to seeing via visual perception, imitation, and recognition assisted by the development of auditory memory. Short, terse sentences are easier to remember and can be utilized in the development of cognitive functions.

Toni The Superhero was illustrated by Debbie Hefke. The artwork is eye-catching and saturated with vibrant colors. The final product yields a unique, clean layout that is visually stimulating and beneficial to the development of rudimentary skills. It’s apparent this author did her research.

What I love most about this book is the underlying presence of so many child development strategies. Toni The Superhero contains elements that could potentially appeal to a large array of parents and instructors. There are many different techniques available to reach a variety of goals, and each can be approached with flexibility. Spelling patterns, phonetics, multi-sensory reading, imitation, visual perception, and recognition conceptually aid child development and are clearly distinguished in this little book. It’s amazing how a book so small and rudimentary can take on so many crucial forms of complex development. As a result, I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I could not find fault in this story. I would recommend this book to new parents, instructors, and even the discredited nanny. It reminds me of the Dick and Jane book series I had as a child, which must have done something for the development of my auditory memory because “See Jane run” has been stuck in my head for 27 years.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Lgs1089's review? Post a comment saying so!
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”