Official Review: Cross Drains by Gunalan Suppiah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Official Review: Cross Drains by Gunalan Suppiah

Post by jvez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cross Drains" by Gunalan Suppiah.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cross Drains by Gunalan Suppiah personifies six interconnected drainages and recounts their experiences as they observe humans and spend time with their animal friends. The book starts off with a cheerful tone as the drainages discuss why they hate and love humans at the same time. Humans tend to dump trash into drainages, and the drainages have no choice but to taste every piece of the trash, like spoiled cheese and cigarette butts. Nonetheless, there are also some good humans who take care of the drainages, always cleaning them to avoid clogging. The story takes a sudden dark turn when one of the drainages discovers a bloody knife floating inside him. The drainages, with the help of the stray dog Rosie, then aid in solving the murder of one of the humans they actually loved.

The book’s plot is unique, and this is the very first time I have encountered a story personifying drainages. I also commend the author’s advocacy to promote the cleanliness of drainages. Moreover, the discussions regarding God and the Devil, and the concepts of karma and reincarnation that appeared in the latter parts of the book also picked my interest.

However, no matter how promising the book’s premise was, the evident grammatical errors were very disturbing. Just on the first page alone, I already observed more than ten errors. For instance, the author wrote u instead of you and wrote steeped on instead of stepped on. The author even misspelled his own title, using crossdrains instead of cross drains on certain occasions. I also noticed that even in the Amazon listing of the book, the author used the incorrect spelling of the title. In addition, the author also did not use any statement signifier, no quotation marks and no word indicators like said and shouted. I was left guessing who was speaking to whom.

The narrative of the book is rather simplistic which makes it unfit for adults. The constant swearing and the inclusion of murder and harassment in the plot make it unsuitable for children as well. With these in consideration, perhaps the book is more geared towards an adolescent audience. But before I can recommend this to anyone, I think the book should go through the editing block first.

I understand that English is not the author’s native language, but as an ESL learner myself, I don’t think this is enough excuse. The author should require the assistance of an editor for I honestly believe that with proper editing, the beautiful meanings of the book will shine.

Although I find its plot intriguing and unique, the numerous errors greatly diminished my enjoyment of the book. Thus, I’ll have to give Cross Drains 1 out of 4 stars.

Cross Drains
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jvez's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ericanielsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericanielsen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ericanielsen »

Sounds like a hard read with a good concept. Good for you for finishing the book!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Great review! With the subject matter I, too, would be exceedingly unlikely to read this to children. It does sound like a very unique concept, and it is a shame about the grammar and punctuation problems.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Kat Berg wrote: 03 May 2018, 09:54 Great review! With the subject matter I, too, would be exceedingly unlikely to read this to children. It does sound like a very unique concept, and it is a shame about the grammar and punctuation problems.
Thank you for reading my review :) I'm honestly still not sure what age bracket this book should be for. The narrative sometimes makes it look like it's a children's book, but the topic is not. So it was just weird. And yes the concept, especially the discussions about karma and reincarnations, was unique. Just too bad about the writing altogether, though I probably am not the right person to point that out seeing as I even wrote 'picked my interest' in the review haha. Anyway, thanks again for reading this review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a cute premise for a story. Too bad it was poorly done. By the way, I would not have guessed you are ESL. Your English is excellent.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

jvez wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 03:09 The book’s plot is unique, and this is the very first time I have encountered a story personifying drainages. I also commend the author’s advocacy to promote the cleanliness of drainages. Moreover, the discussions regarding God and the Devil, and the concepts of karma and reincarnation that appeared in the latter parts of the book also picked my interest.
Wow, that all sounds a bit surreal.
...the evident grammatical errors were very disturbing....I understand that English is not the author’s native language, but as an ESL learner myself, I don’t think this is enough excuse.
I would never have guessed that English wasn't your first language - you write really well. Congratulations on your review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I actually saw this on the review list and was curious, but I could never find the Amazon link to find out more (I didn't think the description on the Reviewer page was enough), so I kept bypassing it. Upon reading your review, I'm glad I did! Even though it does sound like an interesting premise that I'd like to read, I just can't accept all the errors you noted, especially the mistakes when speech is involved! Hopefully they'll come out another revised edition and I can try it then. I also hope they do better on any sequels, which I presume they intend to have since this is noted as "Part One".
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Personified drainage pipes is definitely a unique concept. What a shame that the editing wasn't up to scratch. I hope the author takes your notes into account. I also hope that the children's genre is reconsidered...
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Ericanielsen wrote: 03 May 2018, 08:08 Sounds like a hard read with a good concept. Good for you for finishing the book!
Thanks for reading my review :) And yes. It was quite a challenge finishing it. Just sad because the premise was really interesting.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

teacherjh wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:19 It sounds like a cute premise for a story. Too bad it was poorly done. By the way, I would not have guessed you are ESL. Your English is excellent.
Yes I actually like the premise since it discusses other more complex topics as well. I just hope they'd try to edit it. And thank you :) I'm still learning English though haha. Even this review still has errors.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Libs_Books wrote: 03 May 2018, 12:02
jvez wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 03:09 The book’s plot is unique, and this is the very first time I have encountered a story personifying drainages. I also commend the author’s advocacy to promote the cleanliness of drainages. Moreover, the discussions regarding God and the Devil, and the concepts of karma and reincarnation that appeared in the latter parts of the book also picked my interest.
Wow, that all sounds a bit surreal.
...the evident grammatical errors were very disturbing....I understand that English is not the author’s native language, but as an ESL learner myself, I don’t think this is enough excuse.
I would never have guessed that English wasn't your first language - you write really well. Congratulations on your review.
The discussion about karma and all I think is based on their country's legend and religion. I've read about the same concepts before. Just sad the author wasn't fully able to discuss that in this book.

And thank you. I'm still learning to write in English though. I still commit a lot of mistakes, even in this review. Thanks again.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

MsTri wrote: 03 May 2018, 13:41 I actually saw this on the review list and was curious, but I could never find the Amazon link to find out more (I didn't think the description on the Reviewer page was enough), so I kept bypassing it. Upon reading your review, I'm glad I did! Even though it does sound like an interesting premise that I'd like to read, I just can't accept all the errors you noted, especially the mistakes when speech is involved! Hopefully they'll come out another revised edition and I can try it then. I also hope they do better on any sequels, which I presume they intend to have since this is noted as "Part One".
I think this is one of those books with errors in their Amazon links. I remember I had to manually search for the book and its author. But I only did that after I've already confirmed I'd review this book. Now I know to always check the Amazon preview pages first. The lack of quotation identifiers was really troublesome. I found myself rereading every page two to three times just to get a good grasp who's talking to whom. I'm not sure what kind of sequel they can do as I think the story already ended well in this book. But perhaps there'll be another string of reincarnation :eusa-think: Anyway, thanks for reading my review :)
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 May 2018, 16:41 Personified drainage pipes is definitely a unique concept. What a shame that the editing wasn't up to scratch. I hope the author takes your notes into account. I also hope that the children's genre is reconsidered...
Thanks for the great review!
It's indeed very sad about the writing and editing, but I hope they republish this. And thank you too for reading my review :)
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t think the book sounds fit for anyone. Your review probably was the best thing that could happen with it if the author decides to take you seriously. I cringed during the parts you described as the drainages tasting the various things dumped down them. It just all sounds odd and not entertaining for anyone. I will pass. Thank you for this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I would be curious to know more about the length of this book and the narrative itself. Does it have illustrations too? You said that the narrative is rather simplistic. Are there only a few lines per page or more? Is it supposed to target children?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Children's Books”