Official Review: Cross Drains by Gunalan Suppiah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: Official Review: Cross Drains by Gunalan Suppiah

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow, sounds like a book with an identity crisis. I see it’s ‘part 1’, I bet you’re looking forward to ‘part2’... Not :lol:
Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

cpru68 wrote: 03 May 2018, 19:16 I don’t think the book sounds fit for anyone. Your review probably was the best thing that could happen with it if the author decides to take you seriously. I cringed during the parts you described as the drainages tasting the various things dumped down them. It just all sounds odd and not entertaining for anyone. I will pass. Thank you for this review.
To be honest I actually find the bit about the drainage quite funny at the beginning. However, it just started becoming weirder and weirder as the story goes along. I understand if you want to pass, I can't recommend this to anyone after all with all the errors and the convoluted plot. Thanks for reading my review :)
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

cristinaro wrote: 04 May 2018, 03:23 I would be curious to know more about the length of this book and the narrative itself. Does it have illustrations too? You said that the narrative is rather simplistic. Are there only a few lines per page or more? Is it supposed to target children?
Thanks for reading my review :) I think there are around 20 sentences per page. And the sentences were mostly simple sentences, and the type of sentences you'd use for children's books. A rather basic English. Even the font style is quite large, typical for children's books. This is why I'm confused what age bracket the author is trying to target since the topics discussed in the book are not really for children. The characters also tend to swear a lot. The book does have illustrations. And thank you for reminding me. I actually forgot to add that in the review. The illustrations were actually good, although there were only a few of them, so they couldn't really cover for the errors in the narrative.
Last edited by jvez on 04 May 2018, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Helen_Combe wrote: 04 May 2018, 03:39 Wow, sounds like a book with an identity crisis. I see it’s ‘part 1’, I bet you’re looking forward to ‘part2’... Not :lol:
Great review.
Haha :) Thank you for reading this review. Oh boy, a part 2 ... :icon-rolleyes: But who knows. Maybe the author will actually try getting an editor this time. *fingers crossed
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

jvez wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:39
cristinaro wrote: 04 May 2018, 03:23 I would be curious to know more about the length of this book and the narrative itself. Does it have illustrations too? You said that the narrative is rather simplistic. Are there only a few lines per page or more? Is it supposed to target children?
Thanks for reading my review :) I think there are around 20 sentences per page. And the sentences were mostly simple sentences, and the type of sentences you'd use for children's books. A rather basic English. Even the font style is quite large, typical for children's books. This is why I'm confused what age bracket the author is trying to target since the topics discussed in the book are not really for children. The characters also tend to swear a lot. The book does have illustrations. And thank you for reminding me. I actually forgot to add that in the review. The illustrations were actually good, although there were only a few of them, so they couldn't really cover for the errors in the narrative.
Thanks. In other words, a children's book which is not exactly a children's book. :) I guess the author will benefit from your comments and the other reviewers' replies.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

cristinaro wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:52
jvez wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:39
Thanks. In other words, a children's book which is not exactly a children's book. :) I guess the author will benefit from your comments and the other reviewers' replies.
Yes. I guess that's the best way to put it :) I hope the author does find my review helpful though, considering they're planning a Part 2 book and all.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Murder in a children's book? Even the English language was murdered!

I think the concepts in the book are too adult to appeal to children. Then the writing is too poor to appeal to adults. I'm afraid the author has to go back to the drawing board. I hope his/her efforts don't go down the drain.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I am not opposed to odd concepts in books, but this one has me baffled. Nothing about this sounds pleasant to me! I want to thank you for a great and honest review :)
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

SABRADLEY wrote: 04 May 2018, 20:47 I am not opposed to odd concepts in books, but this one has me baffled. Nothing about this sounds pleasant to me! I want to thank you for a great and honest review :)
Thank you for reading this review. There are actually some parts of the book that were really funny and all. I think the author just failed to have an organized narrative which made all the concepts jumbled.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 May 2018, 06:07 Murder in a children's book? Even the English language was murdered!

I think the concepts in the book are too adult to appeal to children. Then the writing is too poor to appeal to adults. I'm afraid the author has to go back to the drawing board. I hope his/her efforts don't go down the drain.
Indeed that author needs to rethink how to restructure the entire book. I do hope he consults an editor as well before he goes on to publish his Part 2.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This is a really odd concept. I was thinking it would be a children's book with a lesson about not throwing anything down the drain or flushing odd items down the toilet. Until you mentioned the knife! This one is just a little too unique in my opinion. Your review was very interesting though.

As others noted, I would never have guessed about ESL. Your review is well written.

Return to “Children's Books”