Review by JuliaKay -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Review by JuliaKay -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni is a regular kids who likes to do what regular kids do, but he is also a superhero! What makes Toni a superhero? He wears a cape and a mask, and he has a giant T on his superhero costume. He also helps his mother with chores and rescues animals. Toni is terrific!

Toni the Superhero is a children’s book written by R.D. Boss and illustrated by Debbie Hefke. This book is beautifully illustrated with vibrant colors that will be appealing for young children and draw their attention. The pictures showcase Toni in action as he does things like play with friends, draw, and swim. The images are perfect for parents to ask their children about colors and counting items.

This is a short book with only thirty pages and writing on about half of those. The sentences are short and intended for children in the early stages of learning to read. Children will be introduced to the sight word “to” and will be exposed to “Toni” and “likes” in most sentences. This would be a good opportunity for children to learn or practices consonant sounds and long vowel sounds.

The greatest strength of this illustrated children’s book is the fun pictures; this will be the first thing that captures the attention of readers. Another great feature is the short sentences that will be easy for young readers to work through. The author seems to understand that brevity is necessary for the targeted age group. A small issue in this story, however, is that many young readers will not be able to sound out some of these words phonetically, nor does it feature a great deal of sight words that children between the ages of four to six would generally have learned. Children may not yet know or be able to sound out words like “rescue,” “draw,” or “dance” as silent letters, long vowel sounds and soft consonant sounds are usually learned a little bit later. The author may want to consider using words that are more simple for children to sound out or sight words that they may learn in kindergarten. With that be said, the aforementioned negatives in no way do not detract from the story, nor to they take away from the illustrations. Children who do not yet know these words will still enjoy looking at the book or having it read to them. There are no issues with spelling, punctuation, or capitalization. This book receives 4 out of 4 stars.

R.D. Boss and Debbie Hefke did a beautiful job with this book. Children between the ages of three and six would either be able to sit through this story or read in on their own without their attention faltering. They would also be captivated by the stunning illustrations. This book is not challenging enough for children from ages seven on up, and it would probably not have enough depth in the plot for them to feel satisfied with it as a story. This would be a great learning tool for parents teaching counting, colors, and beginning reading.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

Apologies for some of the grammatical errors in the post! I was a bit excited and pressed submit too soon.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Book Rider
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-rider.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Book Rider »

I liked your review, especially regarding the phonetic words, silent letters and their utility for young children. This is an important factor for parents when choosing a book for their children, especially if English is not their mother tongue. Thanks.
Kings06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kings06 »

The book really attract my person because i have kids who always follow cartoon , thus i usually downloaded it to their iPads for leisure time. This one is really cool since it talks of learning for kids including pictures.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

ThIs book possesses a lot of helpful tips for children.I believe every chIld would want to be like Toni after reading this book.Interesting read.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We don't need superpowers to be a hero or a heroine, indeed. At times, doing the things with extraordinary zest, intent, and extent may already do especially if for the ones in whose lives we are irreplaceable and indispensable. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”