Review by Ashleylouu -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Louise
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Ashleylouu -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ashley Louise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This straight to the point short children's story, Toni the Superhero, written by R.D. Base and illustrated by Debbie J. Hefke, emphasizes the importance and reach of a child's imagination. It takes thoughtful and every day tasks and turns them into fun, colorful adventures, helping to not only teach a child responsibility, but to show helping other people can be fun and rewarding. Toni is a kind, relatable, and optimistic young character that not only your children are certain to love, but that you will love as well.

With the idolization of superheroes by young children everywhere, it is refreshing to see a superhero-type story that doesn't emphasize superpowers. Instead of using special power, Toni uses his kindness and imagination to be a helpful, responsible young boy, showing that even superheroes sometimes have to do chores, too. With attractive illustration, full-length on every page, and an easy to follow story, this is bound to be a bedtime staple for parents and children alike.

Toni the Superhero also makes for an excellent tool to begin teaching your child to read with its short, concise sentences on each page and the illustrations giving visual clues as to what the sentences say. This also allows for children to learn word association, easily seeing the picture of an action and hearing the word simultaneously.

The shortcoming of this otherwise charming and enjoyable book lies in the lack of context and length, showing little cause and effect. While it is certainly easy to read which has numerous benefits, it confines the book within a much younger age group, making the story potentially less appealing to older children. However, it does allow for many other books about Toni and his next adventures. Despite being best for younger children, it can be easily enjoyed for the illustration alone by anyone.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The colorfulness and attractive art, along with the teaching abilities and simplicity of this story earned it this 3 star rating. It is a lovely story for children and parents to enjoy together whether it be a bedtime story, a daytime learning experience or both. Had there been some further build to the story allowing for a wider age group or greater learning experience, it would have been a solid 4 star rating. I look forward to following along with Toni's future adventures and seeing where his imagination will take him next.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ashleylouu's review? Post a comment saying so!

M_X_V
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by M_X_V »

Based on the review I would say the pros far outweigh the cons for this book. I think I'll feel comfortable buying and reading this for my little niece. Great, honest sounding review.

Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley Louise »

M_X_V wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 18:22
Based on the review I would say the pros far outweigh the cons for this book. I think I'll feel comfortable buying and reading this for my little niece. Great, honest sounding review.
Thank you very much, I'm happy that you enjoyed my review!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Blue Screen by Kyle Benzle

Post by teacherjh »

Your review is clear and highlights the book well. I've read a few reviews for this book and it sounds like a great read.

Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley Louise »

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my review and letting me know what you thought.
teacherjh wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 14:55
Your review is clear and highlights the book well. I've read a few reviews for this book and it sounds like a great read.

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great review. I too have read a couple of reviews on this book and really love the concept. You are absolutely right that children idolize superheroes. It is great that the author could turn a superhero into an excellent role model.

Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley Louise »

Thank you so much for your input! I'm pleased that you agreed with my opinion on superheroes these days and how children are, well, obsessed with them! It's always refreshing when a "superhero" is a little more realistic and a positive influence, especially for our younger generation.
kfwilson6 wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 13:59
Great review. I too have read a couple of reviews on this book and really love the concept. You are absolutely right that children idolize superheroes. It is great that the author could turn a superhero into an excellent role model.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”