Review by kluvlibrtydisco -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
kluvlibrtydisco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kluvlibrtydisco.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by kluvlibrtydisco -- Toni the Superhero

Post by kluvlibrtydisco » 23 Apr 2018, 22:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero is a picture book designed to tell the story of Toni and how he spends his day. Through the use of action words, the author shows Toni interacting with others, helping around the house, and staying active. With the additional use of visual learning, the author and illustrator, further enhance the readers understanding of how those action words look.

Not overly wordy, this book is also wonderfully designed to keep the attention of a toddler, which is sometimes hard to do. Oftentimes toddlers get stuck in between board books and picture books, with very few books they feel like they can connect with. I personally struggled to find books that had just enough wording to keep my toddler interested, but not too much wording that they became inpatient with the story. This author has definitely found a great balance for that, which would definitely encourage me to purchase this book for other toddlers in the future.

The best part of this story is that it portrays Toni helping his mom around the house with small chores. Since parents are encouraged to start laying the foundation for helpfulness before pre-school, this book offers subtle examples to any toddler reading it. My toddler is more likely to help out around the house when she sees that other kids are helping out their parents; thus, R. D. Base’s use of portraying Toni’s helpfulness, is very encouraging to a parent with a pre-school aged child as they teach their children about chores.

Furthermore, this book would be excellent for any teacher who works with kindergartners learning English as a second language. Besides having a strong pattern for showing readers how to visualize verbs, the pictures help to accentuate how to use those same words appropriately in a sentence. It could even be said, that the author could easily publish this book in multiple languages, assisting children who wish to learn a language other than English.

If I could add one aspect to this story, it would be to show Toni’s friends dressed as super heroes as well. Whenever I go to a playgroup, if one toddler puts on a costume, soon every child is pulling out their superhero or princess outfits and running around the house to save the world. Thus, I felt as if the other kids seemed out of place.

This story deserves a 4 out of 4 for being perfectly designed for its age group. I was so impressed with the story that I plan on purchasing it for my nephew’s birthday, because like Toni, he loves his superhero costumes as well.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like kluvlibrtydisco's review? Post a comment saying so!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Secrets of Time by Michael Bennett Wilson

Post by teacherjh » 24 Apr 2018, 13:48

This sounds like a super-cute story. I agree that getting children to value helping around the house is very important. Thanks for explaining the educational value of this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”