Official Review: Hey, Don't Forget the Sunscreen!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Hey, Don't Forget the Sunscreen!

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hey, Don't Forget the Sunscreen!" by Kimberling Galeti Kennedy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kids learn lots of lessons the hard way, no matter how hard adults try to warn them. What does that pot on that stove feel like? OUCH! What's up my nose? Oooohhhh, fun! But some lessons are important to ingrain in children as early as possible, such as not getting in vehicles with strangers, not smoking or doing drugs and not shoving a fork in an outlet. One lesson that isn't taught frequently enough is the importance of sunscreen and proper skincare when outside.

This is the purpose of Hey! Don't Forget the Sunscreen! by Kimberling Galeti Kennedy, a children's picture book. Amazon lists four such children's picture books created by Kimberling, all released in 2017 and all covering various topics like Do Dogs Pray? and Why You Should Laugh Three Times A Day. Hey! Don't Forget the Sunscreen! follows a little girl named Stacey who's at the grocery store and runs into her friend John and his aunt Donna. Donna has a bandage on her nose, and Stacey asks what happened. This begins the lesson of the book - Donna says that, as a child, she played in the sun without protection for too long. She discusses various potential issues, such as skin cancer, and then discusses various methods of protection from the sun and how to best get your daily recommended vitamin D.

The art in the book is spectacular. The cover is a perfect example of the art inside: the colors are crisp, and the images are full-page on one side with text on the other. I reviewed a physical copy of this book, and the art is definitely big enough and clear enough that even held up at a distance from children when flipping pages it would be easy to see the pictures. However, the images when discussing cancer are basically cartoony cancer creatures on skin, which may be gross for some and awesome for others.

The story also gets quite scientific at times, which slowed the reading down quite a bit for a couple pages. On the one hand, if you merely read this to your children, these parts may get rather dry. However, if you decide to research these various types of cancer together, it can be a learning experience for them AND for you! These technical terms can also be very difficult for children to learn to read themselves, meaning it may not be the best book for children to practice reading on their own.

When I was a teen in the Boy Scouts, we worked a car wash to raise money. I was smart enough to put sunscreen on my face and arms (thanks to my mom!), but I hadn't considered the length of time, the splashing water or the looseness of my shirt. My face was burned a bit, but my back, up toward my shoulders, was covered in blisters due to a nasty second-degree burn. Even 20-ish years later it's easily one of the most painful experiences of my life, so it's definitely something I'll do anything to avoid again! This made me really excited to find a book that covers the importance of avoiding burns, and the book surpassed my expectations. My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars, and I can easily recommend it to anyone who wants to teach their kids the importance of protecting against burns and skin damage from the sun. I did find one error, but otherwise this was an excellent, professional little book!

Hey, Don't Forget the Sunscreen!
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I have to confess that I have never used sunscreen before. I am now setting a goal to buy one this May. It is vital for parents to teach their children how to take care of their skin. This book will be beneficial for me as I have always been interested in science since I was young. I mean, learning the different terminologies for skin cancer will be beneficial. :D I need to get this book for my future children.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It’s never too early to start teaching this important lesson! Thanks for another well-done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Myking_oziel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Myking_oziel »

It was a great book hope people like it like I did
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

When I saw the title I immediately thought of how important this message is at this time of year. With regard to your personal experience, I hope this book goes into the importance of remembering to apply the cream to more exposed parts or parts you might forget to reach, like noses and shoulders. Thanks for a great review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Unclebig001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Unclebig001 »

Wow!It Is A Great Review I Realy Like It.The Sunscreen Is Nice Write Up
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a good lesson for kids to learn at a young age. I'm unsure the technical nature of the science is suited to young kids, but it could be a good opportunity for research. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Summer aka beach time is definitely time for sunscreen. It is good to have the scientific stuff for the adults to appreciate and then explain to the kids in simpler terms. The creepy creatures are definitely for the kids to imagine the disease's destructive nature. (Soap and toothpaste ads often use this trick.)

Kimberling seems to have a talent for choosing unique topics for her books.

Thanks again for another of your classic reviews, CataclysmicKnight!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great review. Children who are interested in science and medicine might like the more technical aspects of the book. Others might get a little bored but if it's just a few pages, the pictures might keep them engaged. Sounds like a great book.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

What a great review! I’m glad to know that this book has some great lessons, and it is also nice to know about the scientific element of the book. It sounds like it might be a great one to have in a doctor's office or at a school.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I love that the author would be so creative to write about something to help kids understand why we try to slather them up while they squirm to get away and go out to play. I think this book goes right along with teaching kids good self care such as brushing teeth and hair washing. I recall all too well a summer day spent out on a lake and falling asleep on a floating air mattress. Ouch!!! Full on burn from my neck on down. Back then, we didn’t even realize the danger of it. This book is so needed. Thank you for your review.
Everything happens for a reason...
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

My cousins have just had children and I have found myself being drawn to children's stories that I can read to them. I love this idea! I love when authors get creative about every day important acts and this is no different. I can't wait to give it a read. Thanks for your review!
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I was an adult when I took a walk home by way of beach! I walked two hours, walking in the water and on the sand, and when I got home was covered in disgusting clear fluid blisters. Wish I had read more books about it when I had been a child, or even a teen!!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Interesting stories are really among the best ways to teach kids real life lessons! Great review! I would love to read this to my son.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I'm a skin conscious myself, so when I read the title, it immediately caught my attention. Like Donna, when I was a child, I played under the sun without sunscreen protection for long. But when I reached my teenage years, I became aware of how to take care of my skin.

Return to “Children's Books”