Book Suggestions for Reluctant Readers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Book Suggestions for Reluctant Readers

Post by Jackie Holycross »

My youngest daughter is not an avid reader. She does like realistic fiction about people and friendships. Her current 'willing to read' book is Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Any suggestions about other books she might like?
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

Perhaps some children's biographies? As a kid I really love the Helen Keller biography I had, it was this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/136 ... earch=true

Malala Yousafzai's autobiography is really good and I've heard good things about the Dear America books.
Jackie Holycross

Thanks. I’ll mention it to her.
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

How old is she? If she's at the younger end of the target audience for "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" she might like the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. If they're too young for her, she might enjoy the "Dork Diaries" series by Rachel Russell or "The Babysitters Club" series by Ann M. Martin. Try some of the classics as well...Judy Blume, Harriet the Spy, or Nancy Drew.

If she likes watching movies, I'd also recommend checking out whether any of the movies she has enjoyed most are based on books and if so, getting hold of the books.

If you have other kids who are more into reading than your daughter is, encourage them to talk about what they are reading, so that as a family you are modelling reading as fun, engaging and entertaining. You never know, she might be inspired by other people´s enthusiasm for reading! Good luck!
Jackie Holycross

She is 9 and she has read a few of the Dork Diaries and the new Babysitter's Clubs. She likes the books that still have pictures. We found a few graphic novels she liked also.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the thoughtful input.
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

You should try Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb, it has alot of graphics. I think she might like it.
Jackie Holycross

4cynthia72 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 04:36 You should try Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb, it has alot of graphics. I think she might like it.
Thanks. I'll look for it.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The Boxcar Children books are short chapter books that are easy to read yet fun. Also available as audio books.
book worm1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by book worm1 »

My youngest daughter insisted that she did not like to read until she picked up one of the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan. She I'd now obsessed with his books.My girls will now read and discuss these books at length. Often their discussions involve crying and screaming like teenagers who found out the Beatles broke up. I make them go in another room when they get too loud.They each have their own copies of the series to prevent fighting, these books are in terrible condition from being read so much. Now that they have read the books they won't watch the movies.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

Has she tried the Judy Moody series? It's one I enjoyed when I was younger. I believe it had some illustration. Another great series around that same reading level might be The Magic Treehouse Series.
The Great Gilly Hopkins, Ballet Shoes, Maniac Magee, and Are You There God, It's Me Margaret were all books I read when I was about that age and enjoyed. I don't believe they have illustrations, though.

Return to “Children's Books”