Official Review: The Present is a Gift by Elchanan Ogorek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Present is a Gift by Elchanan Ogorek

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Present is a Gift" by Elchanan Ogorek.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the hectic, nonstop world we currently live in, children can easily get caught up in our always-moving world as well. Yoga is a fantastic way not only to become flexible and get (or keep) in shape, it's also perfect for slowing down, appreciating the moment and reflecting. Elchanan Ogorek reaches out specifically to children in his picture book The Present is a Gift, a short little beginner's book to plant the seed of mindfulness and yoga in young ones.

In The Present is a Gift, Elchanan uses bendy stick figures to show eight yoga poses, and then goes through eight various animals who are using them (or something close to them) in a natural way. On each of these pages there's a bit of text about the animal, followed by a statement for how one should take that first text and use it in their lives. For example, a squirrel sits on a tree branch as if ready to leap! The text reads "Squirrel continues to learn and grow from every movement. Squirrel's front teeth never stop growing so they can continue to scavenge for food", and then the reflection text says "I will remain curious and non-judgemental".

After all eight of these there's a blackboard image with a summary of lessons from all eight animals and a "mindfulness guide" that once again shows each animal with the beginning of a sentence. These are a little more easy for parents to demonstrate for everyday use since they're the beginning of sentences, so if a child is feeling depressed about doing something they don't want to, a parent can point at the wolf and read "I will be proud of myself and grateful for the opportunity when I...", and then add something like "do the dishes".

However, the art is really hit and miss. The first image in the book shows the inside of a classroom and the perspective is way off, and the art style doesn't quite work on some of the animals. Sometimes it's fine, like the cover, or even pretty great like the wolf, squirrel and frog. It seems like blended mediums: the cat image has a rather photorealistic hardwood background, for example. Everything is passable, however, so unless you're just looking for a colorful, cartoony picture book this should still be fine.

The book is very short, and I can see it being used with animal lovers, children who may be interested in yoga (or children of parents who do yoga), or children who need to learn to slow down a bit. I'd give the book 2.5 stars if I could, but since I can't, the lessons within are what make me round up to 3 out of 4 stars. With that being said, I still only recommend it to those mentioned above.

The Present is a Gift
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This is one that might interest my friend who is a Yoga fanatic. But from your description it isn't a very inspiring book, so I am not sure I would read it. Thanks for the review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I wonder if the content matches the target audience? Do children of picture-book age understand words like judgmental, curiosity, or scavenge? I must admit I’ve never seen a book for children on this topic. The lesson has value, but I’m not sure it will be heard.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I think the title of this one is a clever play on words, however, will a child understand that? I know a parent would, so that is okay if the author was trying to include both adults and children in this. Yoga can be very relaxing, but like you pointed out, this book might just be geared for that portion of our society. Add to it the not so great artwork, and that would make this one a disappointment for me. The story is integral to the book, but kids love to look at pictures that back up the story. I know sometimes when I have read a children's book and not totally gotten the point, the picture has done me wonders for comprehension! I think the author has a good concept here, and it sounds like from your review that if the story would be straightened up a little, even with more dazzling illustrations, it would go a long way. Also, I was trying to figure out what age group this would be aimed toward? Thanks for your review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Calidroz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calidroz.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Calidroz »

I find it so hard to put yoga into illustrations and words. Even though you gave it 3 starts I don't really feel convinced to read it. Seems like it fell short.
RodneyKB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RodneyKB »

I don't know weather people who are doing Yoga will love this. But I'm curious about the strong words for children of picture book like judgmental and others, I mean I seen such words through that! :shock2:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I never would have thought there would be a market for a children's book about yoga. However, I have seen some articles about schools using meditation instead of detention. So, this could be a new trend and this book might be a great way to introduce kids to something healthy and new. Interesting book. Good review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This does sound like a terrific idea for a book - I'm quite tempted to buy it for family, despite the flaws.

Return to “Children's Books”