Official Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sagali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sagali.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Official Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by sagali »

a book that teaches children to read sounds amazing and i like the fact that despite being a superhero he still does chores like a normal child which children can relate with without feeling inferior. such an interesting book. nice review
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ktwills79 »

Sounds like a great way to introduce kids to the basics of reading--we all know how much kids love superheroes!
Cheryl12
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl12.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cheryl12 »

“Toni The Superhero” by R.D. Base

Research have proven that kids to whom books are read latch on to reading as oppose to early learners who haven’t had the experience. Also, there is evidence that reading aloud to kids really assist with the stage of brain development. But what’s the purpose of promoting and encouraging reading for the early learners when they own a room full of toys and no reading books?

Moreover, what makes “Toni The Superhero” different from the list of Superhero that already exists? He’s considered the cream of all Superhero. This young boy with super natural powers involved in other activities on the human level. It is yet to be known what else Toni enjoy doing when he’s not active in trying to save the world from danger.

There is many emphasis placed on magical powers. Actually, for the young reader and visual learner emphasis is on daily domestic duties. Toni got his little brome for sweeping, cleaning, dusting furniture to assist his parents keep his home fresh and clean. He is a bright boy who read books at home to be ahead of his class. Toni eats the right food for his diet like fruits, vegetables, healthy snack and milk. He never throws away his lunch that his parents provide but shares with other classmates.

Whenever it is play time, Toni participated in soccer, basketball, other sports and recreational activities. He is kind to other kids on the playground by displaying true Superhero and exercise to stay healthy. Toni practice to get enough sleep by going to bed early and follow instruction from his parents not to stay up late at night. He rises early in the morning to get to school on time.

The young readers appreciate kids’ books with the main character exhibiting magical powers. The main character is seen in a bright colored costume with the initial of his first name T written on the front. Also, accessories of cape, eye mask, gloves, soccer ball and books. He is seen flying through the air in full speed to save someone who is in danger. This reflected that side of his magical power. Kids enjoy the main character presence when he is on their level, engage in their activities and communicate in kid’s language.

Most of all, I liked the simple sentences formulated for the younger reader as he tried to highlight literacy at this age group. The pictures help with identifying letters of the alphabet, pronunciation and learning new words. Also, the younger reader will appreciate the fact that Superhero comes in different color, shape, size and age.

The least that I like about the book was the blank page with no picture of Toni dusting furniture to assist with house chores. Instead of the blank page, should be for the young reader to draw, and color pictures of how they help their parents at home with chores. I would recommend the book for young readers just learning how to read and familiarizing with letters of the alphabet and the early language learners.

Thanks to the writer for promoting kids book in a hilarious way. Well done to the Illustrator, Debbie J. Hefke who assisted in making the learning process accessible for the young readers. There were no errors found in the book, therefore I rate this book 4 out of 4 Stars.

CMcDermott
Anasamjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Anasamjay »

"Toni the superhero" by R .D Base

The most important thing to do when writing a book for kids is for the book to
look catchy,right from the cover page! I actually gave this book to my niece so I'm reviewing based on her behavior while she read

Toni is a superhero who doesn't just have superpowers,but helped around with the little chores in this house. This is good because it helps kids think that performing this tasks help them become superheroes,which it does (healthy superheroes). Toni can be seen in the book on his superhero costume cleaning and dusting. This is a good and creative way to improve kids affinity to help with little things around the house.

The book is also great for kids not only because the sentences are short,simplified and easy to read but also because the pictures are so simplified that kids who can't read yet can also understand what the book is about,not to mention the fact that it's very colourful which we all know attracts children.

The book was nice,straight to the point and made use of easy words. No grammatical errors also were found throughout the book. It really deserves my 4/4!
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Nice preview. I like the book's premise that heroes do normal things too. Its a good lesson, that maybe normal people can be heroes too. Its a good book for children.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
arbrown123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by arbrown123 »

I rated this book a 4 out of 4. This is a very engaging early reader! Young children will appreciate the simple sentences, the colorful illustrations and the storyline. Parents will find many ways to teach vocabulary, reading comprehension, and reading fluency with this simple story. A few pages that have omitted text will provide parents the opportunity to introduce inference. :D
Tfree
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by Tfree »

I love the premise and the approach taken by this book. Thank you for such a helpful review. I will recommend this book to parents and teachers I know.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the well-written review. Toni seems like a realistic super hero for kids to admire. It's great that the author intricately links the idea that being a superhero does not exempt you from everyday activities.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thanks for this review. This sounds like a book I would like to have in my arsenal for teaching reading to beginners - and in a fun way at that. Perhaps it could even be adapted for adult beginners as well; that would be priceless!
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

I think this is an exemplary book for kds despite if the few short comings outkined in the review.its a book kids can learn from the super hero character of toni
Ashara100
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashara100.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Ashara100 »

I love It! R.D. Base has succeeded in creating another easy to read selection with a fun and friendly character that every child will want to hang out with. I am excited to view other books in this planned series and watch Toni the Superhero grow and learn with our children.
zeek193
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zeek193 »

The book is really good my 6year old nephew is already applying some of tony's beliefs in his day to day activities. It's really educative thanks.
paulitfaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulitfaa.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by paulitfaa »

Recreating child hood memories especially those we wanted remain with us has never been easy. It takes inner peace to fashion out what children will dream to be and how they will accept what they are when they are grown up. R.D Base has made it easier in this book.
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

i like this book it shows before you become a hero in life you must be hard working person like Toni
paulitfaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulitfaa.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by paulitfaa »

The magical aspect introduced in Toni's character is a direction into identifying talents in children. Surely it is for this reason that Toni's innate savvy is regarded magical. And it magical when latent talents are exposed to proper use.

Return to “Children's Books”