Official Review: My Unhappy Halloween

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: My Unhappy Halloween

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Unhappy Halloween" by Matthew westerfield.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I was a teen, I wrote my very first "story". This story was never finished, and looking back at it now is rather hysterical - I overused exclamation points, killed off a character named after someone I didn't like repeatedly and the action was all over the place with almost no detail or plot. The only detail I did include was ridiculous and really didn't make much sense for why I included it.

I bring this up because I can totally relate to Matthew Westerfield's My Unhappy Halloween: Frights. This is (presumably) the second book in the Frights series; although it doesn't specify anywhere on the book or Amazon page it was released between the first and third entries and is the only unnumbered book. I actually reviewed the original book in the series a year and a half ago, and some of the things from the original do cross over: witches, evil monkeys, and a few of the main characters including Eddy Groten. This book absolutely stands alone, although there are a few references to previous events.

Where the first story in the series involved a mysterious skull and the mysterious setting of some woods near Eddy's uncle's house, this one takes place in the weeks leading up to Halloweenat home. Eddy is leading a rather nice life - the book begins with Eddy and his best friend Devonte playing basketball when a girl named Rachel walks up to watch. Eddy likes Rachel, and their little cute innocent flirtatious interactions are adorable to read. As Halloween approaches, the spooky empty house near Eddy's house is and he ends up seeing someone with green eyes inside through a window at night. Suddenly he's having terrible nightmares, putting him on edge as the group of friends go to a haunted house and more mysterious things happen.

This is a very short story; the PDF file I reviewed was 15 pages long, and Amazon says it's just under 30. Unfortunately, I counted over 70 errors in the PDF file, meaning I found an average of almost 5 per page. Despite the story being short, it jumps all over the place. There are some humorous bits like Uncle Fransisco's ridiculous level of clumsiness, and the scenes with Eddy and Rachel are cute. I really liked that since Eddy was the most scared one at the haunted house, Rachel stepped up to be the brave one to "protect him". When I wrote my story, I was the amazing hero and my friends were just in awe of me, so it's nice to see Matthew writing Eddy as humble and not always the best at everything.

Unfortunately, when all is said and done this doesn't add up to an actual story. Things happen in the blink of an eye, and other things - like a televised football game (Matthew is clearly a Clemson fan) - get far more detail than even the more important events. In the end I really feel like nothing much happened here. Between the great deal of errors and less of an actual story, My Unhappy Halloween feels like a step backwards from Why I Don't Like Camping.... Since I gave that one 2 stars, I definitely feel compelled to give this one 1 out of 4 stars. I do hope that Matthew keeps writing, but this book would need a good bit of editing and polish before I can recommend it

My Unhappy Halloween
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It would be truly frustrating to struggle through that many errors in such a short piece. I hope the author takes your advice and works on it some more. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 20:14
...killed off a character named after someone I didn't like repeatedly
This gave me a good chuckle!
What a pity this book had so many errors, it makes it very frustrating to read. Thanks for the review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The concept of a good book is there. From your review, it sounds like a rough draft in action versus a book that is out for publication and readers to enjoy. I cannot immerse myself in a story where it contains so many errors. I simply cannot do it, and from your review and score, either can you. I like the lead up to Halloween, and it's too bad that the author didn't give more time and attention to what the title suggests. Maybe after reading your comments here, the author will take you up on your advice and rework this one. Thank you for your review.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Children's Books”