Official Review: Lua the Llama and the Mountain of Joy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Lua the Llama and the Mountain of Joy

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lua the Llama and the Mountain of Joy" by Alison Birks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lua the Llama and the Mountain of Joy is a children’s book written by Alison Birks and illustrated by Linda Weston. It is suitable for children of all ages, but seems most appropriate for ages 5-8. Lua is a young llama who lives in the Andes Mountains in Peru. One night she has a dream in which a rainbow-colored llama tells her she is much more than just a llama. Lua asks her parents what this means, and they advise her to visit a wise, old healer named don Paqo to get some answers.

I enjoyed this short, inspiring book. Children will be able to learn about universal lessons passed down from the Andean people, such as love, balance, wisdom, and service. I think it’s important for children to learn about different cultures and this story is a fun way to become familiar with Andean teachings. The themes of being part of something larger than your individual self and being connected with the universe are explained in an easy-to-understand way.

Numerous Andean words are used throughout the story. The author has included a helpful glossary at the end of the book. However, young readers might still find it frustrating to stop and look up so many unfamiliar words while reading.

Linda Weston’s colorful illustrations are beautiful and strike a soft tone for this spiritual story. One minor gripe I have is there are not enough pictures and many of them are very small. There will often be a few pages between illustrations; in one case, there are five pages of text before the next picture appears. I think it would have been helpful to include more illustrations to enhance the story and give young readers extra visual clues.

I spotted approximately four errors, including missing punctuation at the end of dialogue and a word that is capitalized in the middle of a sentence. The errors are fairly noticeable, particularly in such a short book. I think it’s especially important for children’s books to be carefully edited so that kids are shown examples of correct grammar. Also, the text is center-justified which is a little distracting. Although this style is a matter of taste, I found the text harder to follow in this format.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The errors prevent me from awarding the highest rating. Still, it’s always a plus when a children’s book can educate as well as entertain. This story would be a perfect choice for storytime at school as it can jump-start a discussion about other cultures.

Lua the Llama and the Mountain of Joy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
victoriareads2018
Currently Reading: Can I be Frank
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriareads2018.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by victoriareads2018 »

Great review! I too think that it is especially important for children's books to use correct grammar. The young ones learn from reading these books so correct grammar and spelling should be top priority.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with you about errors in a children's book. Still, the illustrations sound wonderful. I myself would love to learn about the Andes culture and what this book has to say. I am unsure about all the foreign words, but perhaps an adult could help the children to figure these out better without them getting so frustrated. Thanks, again, for another lovely review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book revolving around a young llama's dream sounds cute. I like books that combine a great tale with universal lessons. A pity about the errors. I agree that it is important for children’s books to be well edited. Hopefully, the author will fix it. It was helpful of the author to add glossary at the end of the book, though using footnotes instead night have worked better. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Wow :lol: :lol: , I would like to learn about these lessons of wisdom, love,balance and especially service. I hope a get chance to go through the book too.
Thanks .

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji.
Books are lovely.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I loved your idea about using the book as a starter for a discussion about other cultures. In this way, children will also learn to be more tolerant. Besides, I know they are always fascinated with different customs and traditions. The author may consider your advice on the illustrations and grammar. Thank you!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What an interesting book for young ones. I like that the culture is included along with moral lessons, and that children are given the message to look deeper than themselves for how they fit into the world. Most kids, just by nature, are ego driven, so they have to have good teaching on how to view other people as just as special as they are. I like your review in that you did point out the errors, and like you said, you can't just let it pass as a children's book is supposed to be a 'role' model for those who are just learning to read and write properly. I think this book would also be good for those who have a lineage in that culture and to share it with their friends. I enjoyed this one so much! Thank you.
Everything happens for a reason...
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my review. :) There are too many errors, but they are noticeable. Besides, a published book should have no errors, particularly a short book with only a few sentences on each page. Kandscreeley - there is a glossary that explains the meaning of the Andean words. Still, it interrupts the flow of the story if you have to keep stopping to look up a word. Cpru68 - I always smile when I see the Santa hat in your profile! I agree it's good for children to see how they connect with something larger than themeselves.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Losernormajean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Losernormajean »

Miss punctuation and some grammer issues but I love how you say it's good for childeren to connect with something bigger than they are
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

bookowlie wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 19:02 This story would be a perfect choice for storytime at school as it can jump-start a discussion about other cultures.
Good suggestion - as is the one about parents and children sharing. It does sound rather wonderful, pity about the pictures and the errors.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am feeling so pleased just reading your review of this children's book of fun and knowledge. The idea of the llama having a dream and being told that she is more than just a llama is very fascinating.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I agree that children's books shouldn't have so many grammatical errors. The reason being that such books too short to harbor so many mistakes. Authors should take more care and edit their books accordingly.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I also think it is very important for children's books to have correct grammar and editing to avoid misguiding curious little minds. Good review.
Anabiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Anabiya »

:)
I lile to read this story after getting this review. The title of the story book is also attractive for me to read it.

Return to “Children's Books”