Official Review: Walk Shepherdess, Walk by Barrett Cobb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Walk Shepherdess, Walk by Barrett Cobb

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walk Shepherdess, Walk" by Barrett Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Never in my experience as a reviewer did I ever expect to be able to review something with so many aspects to it. Books are full of text and children's books have added illustrations to check out, but Walk Shepherdess, Walk by Barrett Cobb seems to put them all to shame with just how comprehensive it is. Barrett isn't satisfied with this being a mere picture book with lovely watercolor artwork that illustrates the lyrics to the folk song her mother used to sing to her, she includes why the song is important to her, her inspiration for adding flute to her version of the composition (which is free to listen to or download from her website), the musical notation, and even a short story she calls "A Lamb's Tale" that includes at least two deeper, hidden meanings from the 12-line song. Whew, if I was saying that out loud I'd be majorly catching my breath after listing all the things included in this 36-page book.

Although I'm always happy to refer to author's websites when they're listed in a book, I often don't mention them in a review. Walk Shepherdess, Walk is an exception, as the titular song is a big part of the book and is entirely free. In fact, the author links to the website from the Amazon description itself, so even those who haven't bought the book can easily get a feel for Barrett's musical skills. The song feels like a Church piece, beginning with piano and Barrett's operatic singing. Her flute dips in for a bit throughout as well, even using it to imitate a sheep's bell. The song is mellow, relaxing and rather beautiful, with lyrics that are very easy to follow along with and shouldn't be hard to memorize. In a time when kids often grow up listening to whatever their parents listen to (which often isn't too kid-friendly), this is especially lovely.

The song is also slow enough that it's easy to listen to while following along in the picture book portion. The images worried me a bit with how small they were when I held the Kindle vertically, but turning it horizontally makes them almost full-screen images. The watercolor artwork is lovely and beautifully illustrates the story being told. That story in question follows a girl with a shepherdess as they travel, looking for various sheep: a ram with ebony horns, a ewe with golden feet and a sheep with a crystal bell.

Finally, there's a short story that goes into more detail than the song. It gives the shepherdess and little girl names (Ann and Ida respectively), expands a bit on the events within, helps teach what the different sheep are (such as that a ewe is a female sheep and a ram is a male sheep) and explores the themes within. The song ends with "and if we never find them/I shan't care, shall you?", which to some folks may seem contradictory - what's the point of a whole song about finding sheep and then not caring whether you even find them? The answer is important - because even if they find no sheep at all, they've spent the day walking in beautiful weather and spending time together. I particularly liked when the author defined "wether" both in the lyrics and in this section. In this bit, she writes in parentheses, "Most grown-ups don't know this word, but now you do!" This little bit of friendly encouragement not only helps children not feel stupid for not knowing what it meant, it's inspiring - hey, even most adults don't know it! I bet even your parents didn't know what it meant until now! I sure didn't personally.

There are also two additional songs on the author's website, although they aren't directly related to the book. "Syrinx" is an instrumental piece with the flute, and while the song is easily open to interpretation, the word "syrinx" is defined as "the lower larynx or voice organ in birds". This led me to believe that it was inspired by a songbird, perhaps even one that visits the author frequently. When the weather is nicer we often have a bird (or several birds) near enough our bedroom that we can hear them on a daily basis, and after a few minutes of listening it's easy enough to sing along with them. Other parts of the piece are flighty, as if perhaps detailing the journey the songbirds may take from place to place. This makes the song a possible alternative while reading one of the stories, orto merely relax and see what the song makes children think of. The other song, "Dido's Lament", is defined by Wikipedia as "the aria When I am laid in earth from the opera Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell". This is a touching, heartfelt piece that's even more operatic, and I highly recommend looking up the lyrics before listening to it.

The only negative I found in the entire book was that I found three errors. Two of them are merely leaving out an apostrophe in a possessive noun, while the third is an unnecessary "a" in a sentence. Normally three errors in such a short book would force me to give this 3 stars, but I just can't bring myself to do it, not when there's so much extra here. I'd rate the book 3.5 stars if we did half stars, or 3.9 otherwise, but since we give or take full stars I'm giving Walk Shepherdess, Walk 4 out of 4 stars. It's something I can easily recommend to anyone who wants to share a nursery-rhyme-like song with their child(ren) since it makes the lessons so clear and even provides you with exactly how to sing it!

Walk Shepherdess, Walk
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

This is what I would call a review urging you to grab the book. :) What definitely caught my attention were your enthusiastic descriptions of the accompanying songs and their message. I've checked the book on Amazon and I've noticed there are others calling it a "multimedia experience". Thanks for all the information!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Wow, I think my 5 year-old niece would enjoy this children book. But with no pictures depicted, unlike most children books, it might be quite challenging. I anticipate that even visual learners might have trouble reading through the book. Thanks fir the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm amazed! This definitely sounds like the most comprehensive children's book I've read about in quite a while. Thanks so much for your introduction to it! Another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

How wonderful to expand the book by including the website where readers can actually listen to the song! What a wonderful piece of heritage this book is as you described it is a family story that others can now enjoy. I kept thinking how old-fashioned this sounded as way back when stories were often spoken in song to one another so that the retelling of it to another person would bring back a quick memory. I guess it's true that our brains recall subjects that are set to music. Your review conveyed such a great enthusiasm for this book, and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.
Everything happens for a reason...
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

I like this. I think I will get this.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book that follows the adventures of a Shepherdess and her young friend sounds lovely, but I am not the target audience. It is nice that the book not only teaches about sheep, but also explores themes. The illustrations of the lyrics sounds like a good move. Hopefully, those minor errors were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This was an amazing review that would turn anyone to reading this book. I hope that the target audience to this book have just ad much enthusiasm and excitement while reading the book.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

"Walk Shepherdess, Walk" by Barrett Cobb is a children's singalong book about a shepherdess and her friend who go on a quest to find three missing sheep. Congratulations on BOTD !!!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Wow! Such an original book and such a great review! The reviewer appears to be so excited about this book. The fact that it is based on a nursery-rhyme-like song seems to me so innovative and interesting. I feel it is worth checking out.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a captivating premise for a children's book! Your wonderful review has encouraged me to read it, as well. Thank you.
Orithea
Favorite Author: Jonathan Stroud
Currently Reading: Catalina's Riddle
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orithea.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
fav_author_id: 3854

Post by Orithea »

As a flutist who has played Syrinx many times in concert (it is a well-known piece for solo flute by Debussy), let me just remark that “Syrinx” is the name of a nymphe who is chased by the Greek god Pan and turned into reed, which Pan then makes into a flute to remember the sound of her voice. It has nothing to do with the larynx or birds.
I’m sure though that this information does nothing to change the enjoyment of the book for kids and parents alike ^^.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I can picture many children reading and singing along with this story at bedtime. You review was great and well detailed. Thank you!
MatisseVH
Currently Reading: Black Death at the Golden Gate
Bookshelf Size: 1515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matissevh.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MatisseVH »

This sounds like an in depth series of tales and moments. This sounds like the kind of experience I would want my child to experience!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I love your enthusiasm in this very thorough review! And I especially liked your suggestion that the "Syrinx" possible related to a songbird- as they are so frequent here this time of year. Excellent job!

Return to “Children's Books”