Official Review: After The Goodnights Are Said

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: After The Goodnights Are Said

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "After The Goodnights Are Said" by Shawn Hudson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After The Goodnights Are Said by Shawn Hudson is a short children’s picture book. The book depicts a group of cute monsters and the mischief they get up to at night, after children go to bed. The book is full of various illustrations of the monsters doing all sorts of silly things, like texting on a cell phone and reading a book. At about sixteen pages long and with few words per page, this book is short enough to be read to young children all in one sitting.

The language used in the book is simplistic and typical of a children’s picture book geared towards a younger age range. The author utilizes rhymes throughout the short narrative, and most rhymes are successful and easy to comprehend, like when ‘told’ is rhymed with ‘hold.’ However, as the story progresses, the rhymes become a bit more forced, like when ‘phone’ is rhymed with ‘warzone.’ Generally speaking, the simplistic language used in the story is successful and will make this a book children can begin to read on their own.

This book contains a cute, sometimes funny story that can be enjoyed by young children as well as parents. Throughout the narrative, we see all kinds of strange-yet-sweet monsters doing silly things throughout the night. Although the hand-drawn illustrations are cute and appealing to the eye, some of the illustrations lack bright colors, making them less appealing. Additionally, sometimes the background is all black, drawn in what appears to be pen strokes. This created a lack of contrast with the monsters, causing the creatures to get lost within the dark background, and ultimately making them difficult to see.

The manner in which the text is placed on the pages happened to be the biggest detractor for this children’s book. The text is randomly inserted in a white box on the page; however, the pictures are full color, including the background. So the stark contrast of the white box containing the text seems unprofessional and poorly placed. The text would have appeared more integrated with the illustrations if a contrasting color was used for the font and the words were placed directly on top of the illustrations.

After The Goodnights Are Said is a short, simple children’s book that would be most appropriate for parents to read to young children aged approximately three to seven. There are some funny parts of the story that will be enjoyed by both children and their parents. However, the unprofessional looking text boxes, sometimes distracting artwork, and forced rhyming lead me to rate this children’s book 2 out of 4 stars. If the illustrations all had better contrast, and if the text was placed seamlessly within the illustrations, I would have considered a higher rating.

After The Goodnights Are Said
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What a pity - the concept sounds really good, and I do love rhyme in children's books, but I think you're absolutely right about the text layout issues, which you describe in very helpful detail.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a cute story. I love the idea of monsters texting and stuff after everyone is in bed. It's too bad that the font isn't better laid out in the book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

MarisaRose wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 07:55
The manner in which the text is placed on the pages happened to be the biggest detractor for this children’s book. The text is randomly inserted in a white box on the page; however, the pictures are full color, including the background. So the stark contrast of the white box containing the text seems unprofessional and poorly placed. The text would have appeared more integrated with the illustrations if a contrasting color was used for the font and the words were placed directly on top of the illustrations.
Wow that is so funny that you made that comment. I just completed a review on a children's book, Rullunder the Imagerater, and it too had a cute story that I found really enjoyable but the author did the same thing with the white boxes. I said it looked like a poorly done PowerPoint presentation. That is an incredibly amateurish approach to illustrations. I think children really enjoy good illustrations, and even I am a very visual person and think the illustrations in a children's book are important for my own enjoyment of it. There are so many children's books out there that could give some of the less experienced illustrators ideas for how they can layout their text and images so that the text doesn't get lost in a dark background.

Nice review. This does sound like a fun story for kids.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

The part of using rhymes in the book makes it educational.
But I hope it won't cause nightmares to the children when read to them before going to bed. :no-spoil:
:roll: :twisted:

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji.
Books are lovely.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The concepts in this story-book for children are innovative. I love the straightforward way in which you have described the contents. Both children and adult should have fun reading this book.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

A bedtime story that left a few basics out. The best critic for a child's book is normally the kid that's reading the book. We may not agree but the child may love it. When the author used colorful illustrations with a white textbox, it throws off the picture. Too much rhyming can help most children. Good review.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

It seems the presentation of this book, such as the font, text placemrnt and colour scheme, still needs some improvement. An informative review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice book here for the kids. It is true that illustration should be coloured as most children will prefer it that way. It will also make the book more appealing. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I'm not sure if this book will help children go to bed early or on time the parents want them to sleep as the characters are monsters but it will surely entertain kids just not sure if it's good for a bedtime story though.
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ktwills79 »

Great review, it sounds like you really summed up the pros and cons of this book very well. I probably wouldn't read this book to my kids for a number of reasons...1) I hate introducing the idea of monsters, although this sounds funny enough to not be scary; 2) dark pictures definitely make the story more boring and would probably lose my kid's interest quickly; 3) rhyming books have to be spot-on or else they're too annoying to read more than once. Sounds like a super cute idea though and maybe the author can make some formatting changes to tighten things up a bit with the text/pictures.

Return to “Children's Books”