Official Review: Rullunder the Imagerater by R Mikel Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Rullunder the Imagerater by R Mikel Nelson

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 13:45 This is a really great idea for a book. I love that it teaches kids to think out of the box. But like you said, it's a bit contradictory to have a book about imagination, with totally unimaginative images. A children's book needs to lean on the images as much as it does the text, sometimes even more so. Thanks for a great review :)
I was so unimpressed with the images and then I got to the picture of "the girl". I just could not believe how she was portrayed! I expect the kids in books to be drawn in a kind of "cute" way and her image was just kind of off-putting with her wide-eyed, open mouthed gaping. Very unimpressive.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Oh how your review made me smile! I was thinking this is the best children's book ever until you started talking about the illustrations and typos. Lol! It's a wonder that such cleverness can exist alongside such poor planning. Bummer :( Thanks for a great review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounded like a fantastic book at first, what a shame it went so horribly wrong.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

The word 'imagerater' caught my attention immediately, and I think it's nice that the book contains some values a child can learn. But it's really sad regarding the illustrations. In children's books illustrations are as important as the text. I think your review will help the author on what he needs to improve.

Thanks for this review :)
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

That's a lot of typos for not much writing! What a shame. That should be so easy to fix.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I believe that children's books should be free of grammatical errors because we don't want them to pick up any bad habits. So sad that the illustrations were so poor. I hope that the author takes your advice and reworks this because it sounds like a great story.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like the idea that the book teaches kids to think outside the box for solutions.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I wonder if the author might be inclined to outsource the illustrations in the future. It sounds like that might help with the quality of this product.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The plot does sound very interesting! It is indeed a pity, like you said, when the illustrations were not up to par, as children do place much emphasis on that. Thanks for the detailed review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 10 May 2018, 20:17 I wonder if the author might be inclined to outsource the illustrations in the future. It sounds like that might help with the quality of this product.
Absolutely. Many children's books have beautiful illustrations. For those, like me, who do indeed judge a book by its cover, this one would be easily passed over for its poor cover art.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 May 2018, 20:16
Kendra M Parker wrote: 10 May 2018, 20:17 I wonder if the author might be inclined to outsource the illustrations in the future. It sounds like that might help with the quality of this product.
Absolutely. Many children's books have beautiful illustrations. For those, like me, who do indeed judge a book by its cover, this one would be easily passed over for its poor cover art.
I think it is certainly fair to judge children’s books this way. Children are so visual as they learn to read. They really need the context of the pictures to help engage their attention and to help puzzle out words as they learn.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This book almost sounded good! It's too bad he didn't give everything names and that there were so many mistakes. Its so hard to appreciate am illustrated book if the illustrations are bad. Thanks for the honest review!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

This review certainly encourages me to want to read this text as it appears to be enjoyable and a page-turner.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'm one of those who looks at the rating first before reading the review, so despite the positive description of the storyline, I was just really waiting for the big "BUT." It's a shame that the illustrations let the book down when there was barely anything wrong with the text. That said, I agree with your recommendations. This might be worth a peek once it's redone.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

It's too bad about the illustrations because I was eager to learn about the job and am Imagerator. The word "image" is right in the job title. I hope,with some changes, the idea's potential could be reached.

Thanks for a thorough and honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”