Official Review: What came first the chicken or the egg?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: What came first the chicken or the egg?

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What came first the chicken or the egg?" by Jeff Cyr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What came first the chicken or the egg? by Jeff Cyr is a children’s book based on the age-old question that seeks to determine what appeared first between the chicken and the egg. According to Cyr, many have sought to answer the question, from seers and kings to sages but still, the question has continued to baffle people and no one has been able to answer it.

In the book, Jeff Cyr assumes two characters, Chin and Ken. Chin is from the Chin flock while Ken comes from the Ken flock. While out strolling, Ken spots a beautiful girl, so pretty and unique. A girl whose kind he had never seen before. Chin reciprocates the love and its love at first sight. Still, she is hesitant. They decide to ask her flock for permission to be together. Ken’s proposal is met with heart-breaking rejection and so they have to leave Chin’s group. Off they go to Ken’s flock, but will they be accepted into the family?

I found the book, What came first the chicken or the egg? captivating with a romantic but simple plot. The storyline is simple enough for any young reader to follow. It is full of humorous and suspenseful moments. The beautiful and enlightening images were a great addition to the story too. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. The truth of this statement can clearly be seen in this particular book. The author used the illustrations to present the differences between the Chin and Ken flocks, creating a splendid basis for the overall plot.

The book contains rhyming words which made reading What came first the chicken or the egg? even more fun. The rhythm that is maintained by the author will help young readers with their pronunciation.

More importantly, I found the plot’s theme to be very educative and very skilfully intertwined with the narrative. Ken and Chin face difficulties and they are rejected by their own communities. Still, they do not give up. The message will help young readers appreciate the challenges that mixed couples encounter. Further, it teaches children to accept themselves as they are without trying too hard to fit it. In this book, they learn to accept their uniqueness.

The book is also well-structured. The author pairs two sentences or phrases together to maintain the pattern. This will definitely make narration effortless and ease the reader’s comprehension. On grammar, I identified only one grammatical error. Considering all the great features of this book, I rate What came first the chicken or the egg? 4 out of 4 stars.

What came first the chicken or the egg?
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the cover, and this seems like a clever plot for a children's book. I'm glad that the grammar is well done as I think that's important for children to learn correctly. I'm not really the target audience, but I appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like such a cute story. I was immediately attracted by the title of the book and from your review there is so much more to it than I would have guessed. Great review, thanks for sharing.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

Self-acceptance is exactly what many parents want to teach their children. I'm happy the author takes their audience into consideration and keeps the story simple and well structured. Thank you for your review!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Children learn about serious issues and values foe simple fun stories. This sounds like a book that should be stocked in schools and family libraries. I will be checking this out!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What a great book that not only encourages young readers but makes it enjoyable. I think a lot of kids want to read, but many associate reading with school. So to find something that adds humor and subtlety disguises education within its pages is great! The cover is very inviting as well. Your review was nicely laid out and very thorough. Writing for children isn’t an easy task especially when the competition is high for other activities like video games and cell phones. I think your review wil go a long way in helping parents and adults to find this book.
Everything happens for a reason...
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a really cute story on acceptance of both one's self and others, but I'm confused as to what it has to do with which came first between the chicken and egg, *lol*. In any case, thanks for the great review. Perhaps I'll pass this title on to parents of young children that I know.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

i am loving this read.The title is captivating and leaves the readers mind juggled.having a teachable moment is also an added bonus.will definitely enjoy reading this with my niece.
hina farhan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hina farhan »

This book is too good, I read with my daughter.. It's very knowledgeable..
My daughter like it too..
Cookie85

Post by Cookie85 »

They need to make more books like this for kids. Every mixed relationships get judge on the color of ur skin. Reading these books might solve the problem we have today. Color shouldn't matter love has no color.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

What a cute way to not only answer the age-old question but to also incorporate a romantic plot as well. Sounds really fun, thanks for sharing.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jonte_fonsi
Favorite Book: A Good Boy
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonte-fonsi.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by Jonte_fonsi »

Honestly, I fail to understand just how appropriate the book title is. I hoped you could expound on that in your review.
kris mary frige

Post by kris mary frige »

the book has a catchy title..but i dont know if is it connected with the story..
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I've also been asking that question when I was a kid since someone asked me that very question. I somehow believe that it is chicken first but now I have to read this book to know if I was wrong and to find out more. I never thought that someone would come up a romantic story from this age-old question. It is exciting to find out the answer to that question and at the same time to figure out if Chin and Ken will be accepted into the family.
renzilou_

Post by renzilou_ »

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

When I heard this question, my uncle's answer would always popped out in my mind. He told me that the egg came first because Adam was the first man in the Earth and yeah....he got some "balls". I was still a kid that time and I quite didn't understand him because I'm all innocent that time until I turned fiftheen. Yep, I'm all green on that age. But reading this story, the romantic in me can't help to giggle about Chin and Ken story. This isn't just for all who are confuse weither the egg or chicken came first, but this is all for people who loves love story, perhaps? Or is it just me? But anyways, y'all should read this book 'cause it's worth it.

Return to “Children's Books”