Official Review: When The Ground Shakes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Official Review: When The Ground Shakes

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When The Ground Shakes" by Irit Almog & Shoshana Wheeler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The perils of life do not regard any person. They do not regard age, gender, religious or non-religious persons. It is for this reason that Irit Almog and Shoshana Wheeler have written an outstanding book When The Ground Shakes. This book seeks to educate children on some ways of dealing with earthquakes. This is a children’s book published in 2018. This is a colourful book showing pictures of both animate and inanimate objects. This book is packed with lots of activities for children. The authors have used a simple activity to define an earthquake. Children have been asked to shake part of their bodies. They have also been asked to mention other things that can shake. An earthquake has been defined based on the above activity.

The authors have stated some facts to know about earthquakes. They have stated the causes, effects and duration of an earthquake in a very practical manner. The authors have indicated ten essential items in the event of an earthquake. They have referred to these items as earthquake preparedness kit. Aside from these, children have been educated on the signs of an earthquake. Furthermore, some ways of dealing with earthquakes have been explained.

I wish to congratulate the authors for writing such an excellent book. The colourful pictures make reading interesting. The words and sentences are very simple and fall within the comprehension of children. There are no spelling or grammatical errors. The various activities make reading entertaining as children will love this. The title of the book is relevant to its contents.

Furthermore, they have stressed on parental guidance so children can greatly benefit from reading. This book seeks to reduce stress and anxiety in the sudden event of an earthquake by helping children understand and cope with their feelings. This book is truly a gem and has a high probability of trending. The authors have proved beyond all doubt that they are knowledgeable in the subject matter of the book. I see creativity at its peak. They have also provided their website address for their readers to obtain more information. Although this is a children’s book, it is suitable for persons of all ages. I read through this book several times to see if there are some omissions, but I couldn’t find one. However, I will recommend that the authors use more literally devices in their books to make reading entertaining.

Irit Almog and Shoshana Wheeler have done an excellent job. Their book is well written. I have graded this book with a distinction and hope to read more books from them. I, therefore, rate their book When The Ground Shakes 4 out of 4 stars.

When The Ground Shakes
View: on Bookshelves

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
barbiee27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by barbiee27 »

It's an excellent book to put into practice every day is very illustrative and educational.
while more I read the book I feel most identify with specific experiences that I can understand and know what I can do when presented in real life.
Zaiyang27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zaiyang27 »

When the ground Shakes by Irig Almog and Shoshana Wheeler
This book proves that even a children can suffer earthquakes at anytime. For those parents, you have to teach your children to be ready at anytime. Also, this book have used simple examples or simple words regarding earthquake that really helps. Amazing!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I never would have imagined a children's book dedicated to the topic of earthquakes. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It sounds educational and engaging. Thank you for the review.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Because I have never lived in an earthquake zone, the thought of training for safety during one has never existed in my life. Your review and the book have both made me aware of something I never even considered. As adults, we process our world so much different than children, so to be able to have a tool such as this book to use to educate and remove fear, that is an amazing thing! Thank you for this review.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Like other commenters, I also doubt the widespread need for a book on how to deal with earthquakes, but I'm sure it has its audience! Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Return to “Children's Books”