Official Review: Super Dudes Eat Super Foods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Official Review: Super Dudes Eat Super Foods

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Super Dudes Eat Super Foods" by Dr. Mills and Jaquy Yngvason.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

'You are what you eat' is a well-known fact that has been established by health experts and other professionals in the field of health. It is thus clear that a healthy mind lives in a healthy body. A Chinese proverb also says 'he who takes medicine and neglects to diet wastes the skill of his doctors'. These assertions have been clarified in Super Dudes Eat Super Foods. This is a children’s book written by Dr Mills and Jaquy Yngvason and published in 2017. This is a colourful book that has beautiful pictures of some fruits and vegetables illustrated in a form of a superman. The authors have described these food as super-foods. The various food has been described in a personified manner. The benefits of these foods to the human body have also been clarified. Sunflower has been described as having sunflower power with small seeds that pack a big punch. With the power from the sun, any battle can be won. Sunflower wins battles a bunch. It has been stated that it contains food nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, magnesium and copper.

It has also been stated that these super-foods come together to fight their fearless plight. They have therefore been described as the super-food warrior gang. The various ways by which these unite to fight their plight have been merged in a book and referred to as The Super Dudes Cookbook. Some of the food prepared are Chocolate Banana Apple Sandwich, Black Bean Pizza Tacos and Roasted Cauliflower. The ingredients, as well as the directions for preparing the various food, have been stated.

I must congratulate the authors for coming out with such a powerful book for children. Most children's books seek to entertain, but this book entertains and educates. The education the book provides can be applied in the home and at school. The beautiful illustrations make reading more interesting. I know children will love this book. Although the book is suitable for children in the elementary school, it will be equally beneficial to adults. I read the book with ease because there are no spelling or grammatical errors. The title of the book is relevant to its contents. There is also an excellent use of literal devices. Furthermore, children learn to eat the right food as they are informed of the foods that are suitable for them. Aside from these, they learn to prepare their own food using the simple directions that have been stated in this book. Children who develop an interest in cooking can pursue this as their future profession. Furthermore, children learn to work as a team to meet their goals. The information contained in the book creates a building block to let children see that cooking is very simple. The authors have provided a simple game in a form of a note for children to entertain themselves. They have also provided their website link for their readers to obtain more information.

However, I realized that some of the words are technical and outside the comprehension of children. Children may also encounter some difficulty when preparing the food for themselves. I recommend the authors stress on parental guidance.

Indeed, this book is a superhero’s guide to secret nutritional power. The authors have done an excellent job. I have graded their book with a distinction. The limitations above do not provide sufficient grounds to discredit the book. I hope they will come out with more of such books to help our society. I, therefore, rate their book Super Dudes Eat Super Foods 4 out of 4 stars .

Super Dudes Eat Super Foods
View: on Bookshelves

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Nice review - eating healthily is so important and it really does need to start at childhood. I'd love to hear what children make of it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Entertaining and educating is something that is very important for a children's book! This might be nice to help urge children to eat the foods that are good for them instead of just the ones that they like! Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Sounds like a good book for me to read with my niece. She likes super heroes and is at the age where illustrations are important. By what you described, it's a good book for us to read together and then, maybe, go to the kitchen and prepare a snack following the book's instructions. Either way, great review: well-written, informed, and specific.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

It's quite a nice review. This is a colourful book with 'appetizing' pictures.Together with iyt's beatiful illustrations , it will be very interesting especially to children.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like such a super book! And like you said, it's likely beneficial for adults, as well. I also LOVE that it includes simple (I assume) recipes! I will definitely get a copy. Thanks for the great and thorough review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It sounds like the perfect book for children and parents to read together, then make a meal plan and create a healthy, fun dinner. Kudos to the authors for addressing an important subject.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I absolutely love the title of this book! I know first hand the difficulty of dealing with a picky eater and could have used this as a resource to help me then. However, I now have a second picky eater at hand, so I believe this might be a book that could help our situation. Your review has certainly piqued my interest in looking into this book. Great job on such a thorough review.
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

This review is incredibly comprehensive, nicely done. So many kids are picky eaters and hold onto those preferences into adulthood, so it's both important and challenging to guide their nutritional choices at an early age. This book sounds like a fun way to help with that, and what kid doesn't like superheroes?
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

With the power from the sun, any battle can be won.
Is this a direct quote from the book? It sounds delightful and informative! Thanks for reviewing; I'm sure with parental guidance (and maybe a little help from wikipedia) even the technical jargon can be worked through!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a great book to share with kids - but I agree with your idea that the author should specify the need for parental guidance and support with the cooking.
H31d1_K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by H31d1_K »

I would love to see what kind of influence this book will have on a seemingly more and more food selective generation. Children have such a large variety of fast food and on the go snacks to select from in our high paced lives that I'd be delighted to see more people involved in preparing fresh foods for our youngsters. I don't have children but I'll be adding this one my shelf to read just for hopes sake. Thank you for the thorough review

Return to “Children's Books”