Official Review: They're Waiting For Me by Ernie Harker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Re: Official Review: They're Waiting For Me by Ernie Harker

Post by Jamasenu »

bookowlie wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 17:25
Jamasenu wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 23:46 That's the first I've heard of the main character having no name. It does seem impersonal and separates the reader from connecting with the character. Sometimes the author forgets or uses words inadvertently that don't fit the audience they're trying to reach. Overall, you gave the book a good rating and a good review.
Thanks Jamasenu! I think the character having no name was a little odd. In fact, I wasn't even sure at first she was a girl, since her sleep clothes could have been worn by either gender.
Do you think what the author did was intentional, not providing a name or gender?
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Since this is a children's book, I agree that the main character should at least given a name but maybe since it is also written in first person, the main goal is to let the children visualize that they are the main character and that they ought to finish the chores first before playing.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Simple and honest review. Since the book is narrated in first person, I feel like the author intended for the reader to see themselves as the main character. Although, I'm aware that wouldn't resonate well with male readers. Thank you for your review.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Lovely inspirational book. I won't might getting a hold of this for my son so he can get his chores done!
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The storyline is so nice. It would teach children to become responsible. Nice review though.
Tegar1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tegar1984 »

This book does have interesting and educational stories so that children not only know to play Only, but in this story also teaches children to know doing homework assignmentsbut unfortunately the story in this book does not mention the name of the character. while children are more always asking what the name of the actor in the story.

Return to “Children's Books”