Official Review: They're Waiting For Me by Ernie Harker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: They're Waiting For Me by Ernie Harker

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They're Waiting For Me" by Ernie Harker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They’re Waiting for Me is a children’s book written and illustrated by Ernie Harker. The story focuses on a young girl’s aversion to doing household chores on a Saturday morning. She knows she can’t go outside and play with her friends until her tasks are done. Still, that doesn’t stop her from trying to avoid her assigned responsibilities. Each chore is shown as a character, and the girl hopes she can make them disappear through various methods, such as counting to 100, throwing a tantrum, etc.

This well-written, fun story is told completely in rhyme, with a traditional rhyme scheme. Each stanza consists of four lines with the second and fourth lines rhyming. The writing has a natural flow and there is no awkward phrasing used in order to fit into the rhyme scheme. Although the story is generally easy to understand, there are a few words or phrases that are a bit sophisticated for a child – for example, the word “budge” and the description of the girl’s usual secret weapon as “a third-degree black belt in whine and complain.”

Written in first person, the book is narrated by the main character. I enjoyed this style, as it felt like the girl was speaking directly to the reader. However, the main issue I had was that the girl has no name. This gave a somewhat impersonal feel to the story. In general, I think children are able to relate better to named characters.

The colorful and vivid illustrations really make the book shine. Each chore is depicted as a person or animal wearing a costume and props to indicate the particular chore. For example, “Pick-up-your toys” is shown as a toy dinosaur with the head of a woman and who is holding a crayon. The chore “people” are suspended in mid-air and add a whimsical, almost magical feel to the story.

Most of the pages contain only four short lines of text which is ideal for children who are learning to read independently. Also, the pictures provide good visual clues, as the artwork ties in perfectly with what’s occurring on each page of the story.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The author has taken a common, timeless topic of kids not wanting to do chores, and turned it into a creative and entertaining story. I would recommend this book to children ages 4-8. It would be a good choice for teachers and parents to read aloud, particularly with such cute illustrations. Hopefully, the younger set will be inspired to do their chores after reading this book!

They're Waiting For Me
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ron2524
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ron2524 »

I love this review. It is simple and to the point.
meynard abad

Post by meynard abad »

This review literally emphasize but completely states all the informations and contents of this book, good job!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around refusal to do household chores sounds inspiring. It is a common issue, and a familiar one. Too bad the girl has no name. I think kids relate better to a named protagonist. Still, it sounds like a sweet book with an important message. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for this review. I agree about the issue concerning the nameless protagonist since one of the first things that kids ask others is their names. (It's one of the first things they learn to do too.) I'm glad to hear that there are colorful illustrations inside. I'm guessing they're as awesome as the book cover!
Barry jofeer

Post by Barry jofeer »

I am happy I see a colorful illustration Inside.and within me I rate this book 100%
Charlesseun

Post by Charlesseun »

This review is on point!
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Another great review bookowlie! The cover is nicely illustrated. I think I need to read this book because I want to escape my Saturday chores as well! Perhaps I could learn something from this little girl. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

This sounds really good! I love kids books that are done well, and even the small example you have made me smile. Great review!
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :) It's clear the author has many talents - he did the beautiful illustrations as well as writing the story!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This book sounds like a lot of fun, but I agree that it's regrettable that the narrator/heroine (you seem quite sure it's a girl?) hasn't been given a name. However, I love the fact that it rhymes - such an important device for developing readers. Thanks for bringing the book to my attention.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

This seems like the kind of book I would have enjoyed a lot when I was a kid! I especially like how the author put a unique and imaginative twist on a mundane topic with each character that represented a chore.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Such a, seem like, cute story and good review with minor spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Danny the refresher
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Danny the refresher »

Its a really good book
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This book truly sounds fun. Who wants to do chores? Sometimes not even adults, including me. I'm quite sure kids can relate to this unnamed girl. Perhaps when reading, the kids will feel they're narrating the story like if they were the main character. Thanks for this entertaining review!

Return to “Children's Books”