Official Review: Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)" by Cameron Alexander.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out in the middle of nowhere with only ice surrounding the compartment, Dr. Peter Barnes cannot stop thinking about his son, Timmy. Many questions and horrific thoughts torment his mind. If he could only escape and go back to his son, who by now, must be missing him. Dr. Peter Barnes is a world-renowned scientist who has made a ground-breaking invention. Unfortunately, it is this very invention that gets him kidnapped with no access to the outside world.

Meanwhile, Timothy Barnes better known as ‘Timmy’ is worried sick and longs to be reunited with his father. He cannot understand why his father has taken so long to come and rescue him. One night, he hears a sound in his room. The chilling darkness takes a hold of him and makes him feel glued to his bed. He is petrified. Still, he gathers his courage and rises up to find out where the noise is coming from. What he sees almost makes his eyes pop out. This night marks the start of his hair-raising adventures as he tries to be reunited with his father.

Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1) by Cameron Alexander is the first of the series that chronicles the adventures of Timmy as he fights with his new found friends to get to Dr. Barnes. I liked the lesson of courage that the book contains. In the book, Timmy must learn to overcome his fears and fight with all his might. Even though most of his encounters are quite scary, with time, Timmy learns that to get to his father, he will have to be more determined than ever before. Every step of the way reveals a different side of Timmy, a side that shows his incredible wit and relentless pluck.

The relationship between Timmy and his father is also a great addition to the plot. All along, Timmy thought he was alone when left behind by Dr. Barnes only to realize that he is surrounded by loving and caring friends who will do anything to protect him from his determined foes. His father had already thought all this out and had placed his friends strategically around him in case Timmy needed help when he was not around.

Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1) is filled with enthralling moments that had me at the edge of my seat turning the pages in anticipation of what would happen next. From one encounter with The Dark to another, I could not help admiring the determination of the undeterred gang. The book left me wanting more of Cameron Alexander’s work and hence I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would never have chosen this book based on its cover, but your review makes me reconsider. I’d like to get to know this character, Timmy, and find out what happens! Great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Shengyeol loves you
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shengyeol loves you »

I love how Timmy manage to conquer his fears to face the dark side of the room without his father and how determinated he and his gang just to rescue his father. Having a friends that will help you is something that you need. Hope to read the whole story to know how timmy manage to rescue his father and find out who kidnapped him. Great review!
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

I agree with the above comment about the cover - it’s amazing how much of an impact that can have. Also I get the feeling that it was a quite hard to summarise the plot without spoilers, so well done! I really enjoyed your review
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm wondering what the age range on this one would be. I love the cover, and it's something I would think about picking up for myself for a nice light read. Thanks for the review. It's an interesting concept.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I too really like the cover. It has drawn me towards the book.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

The book does sound enthralling, especially with Timmy's thoughtful father planning ahead of time how his son would get help from his strategically placed friends. I'd like to come on board Timmy's adventures. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

Timmy had good and true friends. Finding a true friend is as hard as making money.
M3dz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by M3dz »

Honestly the start of the book did not grab my attention, it was a bit vague. And another issue if you're book is about an adventure you should present more imagery, something to have people wishing they were in that adventure.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wait, wait, wait! Please tell me some cute and cuddly little bears are the "new friends" that help Timmy battle. This has to be your answer!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I had to read your review after seeing the cover of this book. My curiosity about what this could possibly be about got the better of me. I would never have gotten it right and am glad to know such an odd cover hides a great adventure story. I am still curious how the bears are relevant.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This sounds like a delightful story for a young person who wants to get into the mystery and monster genre! What do you think is the target age of this novel?
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book revolving around the adventures of a boy to save his scientist father from his kidnappers sounds exciting. That the book contains messages and not just enthralling moments is good. That it was well edited is another plus. Does the book stand on its own? Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by safah26121990 »

This sounds enthralling and captivating, I would love to read it.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

The love and devotion shown between father and son in this book is adorable. Based on the cover, I was expecting robot bears, but the review didn't mention anything about them. It has seriously piqued my interest.

Return to “Children's Books”