Review by rcarr13 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Review by rcarr13 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by rcarr13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon is a children’s story about a kitten named Puffy who wanders away from his home. While he is exploring he comes across another cat and decides to investigate. He soon learns that this kitten does not want to be friends, and it turns out not to be a cat at all. After his encounter with the strange creature, Puffy returns home, and makes the decision not to venture far from his house again.

The book uses rhyming words as a way to capture the child’s attention and to help teach young children to read. I appreciated the suggestions for parents and teachers at the beginning. It’s always nice to be able to use a book for educational purposes, and the author has some good ideas about how to do this. I also liked the included coloring page. Most young children enjoy coloring and this adds a nice hands-on element to the book. It would also be great for kids who need to fidget because they would have something to do while they listen.

The story itself was cute and appropriate for younger children. The one problem I did have with it was that there were some really big words for a beginner. I understand that the author is trying to help build the reader’s vocabulary, but my eight-year-old had to ask about definitions for some of these words, like ensue, and this book is well under his reading or interest level. I think some of these words would make reading the book independently difficult for a beginning reader.

The other problem I had with this book was the illustrations. They looked almost like coloring pages that had already been colored by a child. I’m not sure if this was the intention or not, but my kids and I were not impressed. If the illustrations were intended to look like coloring pages it might be better to just make it into a coloring book.

Despite the issues, this is a great book for toddlers or preschoolers who like cats or animals in general. However, most kids older than five will likely consider this a baby book that they are too big for.

Although the book did have a few issues, overall, the story was good and I’m sure I will be asked to read it again. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rcarr13's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think it is always tough to review a children's book. I'm not one for the overly simple illustrations as well.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:08 I think it is always tough to review a children's book. I'm not one for the overly simple illustrations as well.
It can be tough since the books are usually not very long so there isn't much to summarize. I enlist help from the "experts" though. I have a 2-year-old and an 8-year-old. They really do help me to judge the appropriate age group for a story and whether or not it will be interesting to their age group.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

It's a good idea to recieve feedback from children when reviewing a children's book. The combination of both adult and childlike opinions is the most optimal as adults buy the books and children read them.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:

Post by rcarr13 »

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:45 It's a good idea to recieve feedback from children when reviewing a children's book. The combination of both adult and childlike opinions is the most optimal as adults buy the books and children read them.
I agree. I typically read the book first to judge adult things like age-appropriateness and educational value, and then read it to my kids to get feedback about what they liked and disliked. I hope that doing it this way helps other parents to choose books they and their children will love.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”