Official Review: I Can’t Do It Yet...But School Is ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: I Can’t Do It Yet...But School Is ...

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Can’t Do It Yet...But School Is Epic!!!" by Rebecca Abel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Can’t Do It Yet...But School Is Epic!!! by Rebecca Abel is a beautiful book by 11-year old Rebecca that explores the reality being a student and the confusion it brings. The author says that this book has been essentially designed to help “pupils who are nervous, unsettled or having mixed feelings about moving into secondary/high school”. The book deals with a myriad of facets of the author’s life, exploring each facet with a shocking amount of depth. It is perfect not just for students who are moving into primary or secondary school and their parents, but also anyone who is dealing with certain conflicts in life. The perspective of an 11-year-old on life will help the reader reassess her own priorities.

The narrative begins with a short introduction of the author. She talks about her favourite authors and why she loves them so much. She also talks about her different interests and hobbies in the first chapter. The chapter has been written with eloquence and grace, and the author has ensured that there is a certain fluidity in the narrative. The narrative reads like a confessional as well as a self-help one. The emotional exhibitionism of the author makes the reader understand the dynamics of the author’s life as well as her view of the world.

One of the best things about this book is the detail with which the author has delineated every aspect of her life. Her meditations on her life are extensively well wrought. the narrative deals with a diverse set of themes with a dexterity that is clearly characteristic of the author. The overall structure of the narrative is fluid and the narrative is well constructed. The author clearly doesn’t lose track of what she’s doing at any point in the story.

Along with the strong structure of the narrative, another thing that stands out is the writing style of the author. She has dispassionately and objectively written about a number of things, whether it is her favourite authors or the problems in her life or her religious orientation. The author also mentions that her church has motivated her and one of the reasons she has written this book is to raise funds for charity.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the amount of clarity with which it has been written. The book is full of beautiful descriptions and without any errors. Whether it is themes dealt with or the aphoristic narrative, the author has done a brilliant job.

I Can’t Do It Yet...But School Is Epic!!!
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 22:25
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Can’t Do It Yet...But School Is Epic!!! by Rebecca Abel is a beautiful book by 11-year old Rebecca that explores the reality being a student and the confusion it brings. The author says that this book has been essentially designed to help “pupils who are nervous, unsettled or having mixed feelings about moving into secondary/high school”. The book deals with a myriad of facets of the author’s life, exploring each facet with a shocking amount of depth. It is perfect not just for students who are moving into primary or secondary school and their parents, but also anyone who is dealing with certain conflicts in life. The perspective of an 11-year-old on life will help the reader reassess her own priorities.

The author also mentions that her church has motivated her and one of the reasons she has written this book is to raise funds for charity.
The thing that interests me most about this book is the author herself! She sounds like a remarkable personality who is a deep thinker and has a lot to offer readers of any age. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What really stood out to me in your review was describing how objectively and dispassionately she wrote about a multitude of subjects. I was getting the impression that her writing style was the opposite of that. It sounds like a fascinating read, thank you for the great review :)
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you! Yes, I believe there was a bit of distance between the author and the narrative.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

At the age 11 this is where the children seemed like they are unreadable and many of them really changes their moods and attitudes. So i think on the story they are based on what real life story of an 11yearold student could be.
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ktwills79 »

11 is such an interesting age--kids are poised between childhood and adolescence and it's a confusing time for everyone involved! This book sounds fascinating and the author sounds like she has a lot to offer the world. I'll have to check it out!

Return to “Children's Books”