Official Review: Auntie Bertie bans Christmas, rescue cat...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Auntie Bertie bans Christmas, rescue cat...

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Auntie Bertie bans Christmas, rescue cats save the day," by Esther Loftus Gough.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Johnnie and Farah are devastated when their tyrannical Auntie Bertie cancels Christmas in favor of throwing her own party – no kids allowed. When sneaky robbers start skulking around the house, can Auntie Bertie and the kids (and the pets of the house!) work together to save the day? Esther Loftus Gough’s Auntie Bertie Bans Christmas is a fun, holiday-themed mystery for kids around the ages of nine to twelve.

The author explains in her biography that she is a professional color therapist. However, the use of color in this book was anything but therapeutic. The very first page is a blinding combination of small black text on a neon fuchsia background. It’s so low-contrast that it’s actually physically difficult to read. The rest of the pages all feature the same black text on a variety of vivid colors. Some, like yellow and powder blue, are a little easier on the eyes. The majority of the pages, though, are colors like dark green, dark red, hot pink, and navy. They certainly caught my eye, but I found myself having to squint to actually read the story. I can’t imagine a little kid being able to get through it easily.

The storyline also has some room for improvement. While the broad strokes of it are charming, full of talking animals and Victorian sensibilities, there was just way too much going on. Besides Auntie Bertie and one of the cats, none of the characters have any personality to them. Johnnie and Farah (ostensibly the main characters) only have a few lines of dialogue. Farah could be entirely removed from the story and I wouldn’t notice a difference. Johnnie has a tiny bit of slap-dash character development, but it’s barely explored.

The first page alone is full of unnecessary details. The reader is told that Johnnie’s mother, Sarah, is having a baby and that his father is picking up Farah’s father, Ash, at the airport – none of which has any bearing on the story. These characters are never mentioned again.

Removing some of the unnecessary characters and unneeded details would do this book wonders. It’d give the author more room to flesh out Johnnie’s character to the point where a reader would actually care about him.

A final note: this book ends with a coloring page. It would be a nice touch for a children’s book, except it’s not actually a coloring page at all. The author simply took one of the illustrations and made it grayscale. Instead of coloring inside the lines, you’d have to color on top of various shades of gray – no fun at all. It’s a strange oversight coming from a color therapist.

Between the painful color choices and the too-busy story, I can’t imagine handing this book to a kid. I rate it 1 out of 4 stars. If I were rating the story alone, I’d be happy to give it two stars, but I can’t recommend a book that’s this hard on the eyes. There’s lots of potential here, but it definitely needs some work.

Auntie Bertie bans Christmas, rescue cats save the day,
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

You share some valid concerns and offer good constructive criticism. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What a shame - the title seems so promising but the book sounds like a bit of a car crash - and in (not-so-) glorious technicolour at that!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Oh bummer! It looked so fun. I definitely won't waste my time trying to read something that hurts my eyes. I have no knowledge of color therapy, but it seems like the usage of color detracted much from the reader's enjoyment. Good call on the "unnecessary details" comment, that tends to frustrate me as well. Great review :)
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

By the title and cover, I thought the book was meant for younger children and it didn't sound so bad. Since you're so categorical on your rating, there must be some serious problems with both the illustrations and the content. It's strange that the author says she is a color therapist and it was precisely the colors you didn't like in the book. Maybe she knows things we don't know about colors and their therapeutic effects. :) You made me curious to check it for myself. Thanks for an honest review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I know completely what you mean! I read a different Aunt Bertie book - viewtopic.php?f=60&t=59004 - and the illustrations just seem off! Unnecessary character, weird plot, they need to take a solid look at what they are doing as it just isn't working.

Return to “Children's Books”