Anyone else remember the Hank the Cowdog series?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Anyone else remember the Hank the Cowdog series?

Post by Honeybeetle »

Hank the Cowdog was a "talking animal" chapter book series published during the 90s. The eponymous star is a dog living on a ranch in northern Texas who styles himself as "the head of ranch security." He's lovably self-important, which gets him into misadventures. The other animals and humans are equally odd. I recently spied the audio version of the first book on Audible for 99 cents, and it sent me on a nostalgia trip. The humor, silly songs, and Western peril (always delivered with a wink and a joke-- coyotes play the outlaws, and circling vultures are goofy rednecks) were as fun as I remember back when I collected the books as a kid.

Anyone else remember this series? Do your own kids enjoy them? I gave my books to my little niece several years ago, but she didn't care for them. Maybe they're too quaint for the modern city kid, haha. :techie-studyingbrown:
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I loved the Hank the Cowdog series. It was funny and a great experience for me. I don't have children but recently one of the students I work with in Life Skills has been really enjoying them. I am so glad to hear that kids are still reading about Hank.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

I'd never heard of it until recently. I run a used bookstore, and we got hold of some of the books in the series. They didn't really grab me, but we've sold a handful of them to people who were excited to find them!

Return to “Children's Books”