Official Review: Pepper the Pooper by Rachel Proper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Pepper the Pooper by Rachel Proper

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pepper the Pooper" by Rachel Proper.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Potty training is a big deal for little kids – and for little puppies too! Rachel Proper’s Pepper the Pooper is a picture book that follows a cute black Labrador named Pepper as she learns important lessons about potty training and obedience.

Picture books live and die by their pictures, so I’ll start there. The illustrations in this book are utterly charming. I’ve owned black Labs in the past, so Pepper was instantly recognizable and endearing. Every picture is full of bright colors, pretty backgrounds, and adorable anthropomorphic dogs. The text portions of the story were just as appealing to the eye – the font choice is great and the written sections are set off with colorful borders that really grab your attention.

The writing itself, however, wasn’t quite as appealing. The story is written in verse, but many of the lines don’t rhyme the way they should. Almost-but-not-quite-rhymes like ‘eyes/nice’ and ‘strong/mom’ were very distracting and confusing – it actually took me several pages to realize that the book was meant to be verse in the first place.

The tempo was also a little off. Just when I started to get into the rhythm of the words, an overly-long line would make me stumble. I find this off-kilter verse to be frustrating in a read-aloud book. Pepper the Pooper would be greatly improved if the author just switched to simple prose with a more natural flow.

Of course, I have to talk about the storyline itself. Pepper is doing a great job of using the potty like a big girl, until she gets too wrapped up in her playtime and has an accident. Her friends all make fun of her – the illustration shows her in tears as the other puppies point and laugh. Though Pepper’s mom says “I still love you my dear,” she also threatens to “growl” if Pepper has another accident. This struck me as rather harsh. I’m by no means a parenting expert, but shaming and threatening a child (or a puppy) into using the toilet seems rather counter-productive. I think a more accepting, forgiving reaction would produce better results.

Pepper the Pooper could also use another quick pass by a proofreader. I found punctuation errors on five of the twelve double-page spreads, all of which could be easily fixed.

In the end, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The lovely illustrations don’t quite make up for the stilted verse, but I can still see the book having value for parents – if they don’t take issue with the characters’ harsh reactions to an accident.

Pepper the Pooper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I had to laugh at your descriptions! I loved your review and could see myself having the same positive and negative reactions that you had. What a cute story, full of several lessons for the potty-training age group. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this one wasn't as thrilling as it could have been. Because it SOUNDS like a really cute story. Plus, I'm sure parents could always use another potty training book. Oh well. Maybe some editing could make this book better. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Thanks for this honest, insightful review! Pepper the Pooper had great potential to be a fun tool for parents in potty training, but the harsh treatment for mistakes would definitely rule it out of my library. Even after another round of editing, I don't think I could include it.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Pepper the Pooper is a fun title. Let's hope poor Pepper can grow out of that nickname before becoming a teen. Thanks for a good review.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

dtb wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 10:22 Pepper the Pooper is a fun title.
Agreed! It was the title that made me want to check out this review, although like some others here, the harsh treatment of mistakes means it's not going on my bookshelves any time soon. Thanks for a great and entertaining review though :D

Return to “Children's Books”