Official Review: Lizzie and Leopold by Patricia A. Gummeson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Lizzie and Leopold by Patricia A. Gummeson

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lizzie and Leopold" by Patricia A. Gummeson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Patricia A. Gummeson’s Lizzie and Leopold is a sweet and dreamy picture book about the various creatures that inhabit a beautiful garden. From lizards to turtles and fairies to frogs, there are lots of new friends to meet. This picture book is sure to delight young readers.

Let’s start with the heart of the book: the illustrations. They’re nothing short of stunning. Vibrant, detailed, and seemingly Art Deco-inspired, every picture was lovely to look at. I even zoomed in while reading to take in the intricate foliage and animals. The imagery is sure to spark kids’ imaginations and perhaps kick off conversations and pretend play as kids make up their own stories to fit the pictures.

The story is just as whimsical. There's not really much of a plot, just a narrator introducing the reader to their various friends around the garden: Lizzie and Leopold the lizards, Susie the spider, Frieda the frog, and many more. It’s all very quaint – Lizzie and her friends wear bonnets and drink tea together. Fairies live in the mushroom patch behind the gazebo. The story reminded me quite a bit of the childrens’ show Little Bear (one of my favorites as a kid). It’s sort of daydream-y and gentle, full of cute details and free of conflict.

Unfortunately, I did notice that the illustrations and the text sometimes don’t work well together. There are places where the illustration doesn’t have anything to do with the text on the facing page, and it’s only once you turn to the following page that you understand what the previous picture was about. This could be so easily fixed by rearranging portions of the writing to keep the story and the images consistent with each other, and I think doing so would really improve the book.

It’s a bit hard for me to tell what age group the author had in mind for her book. On the one hand, the lack of plot and the vibrant illustrations suggest that the book is for very young children. On the other hand, the writing is quite dense and detailed, and perhaps best suited for 1st or 2nd graders. The best way to split the difference, I think, would be to use the book as a read-aloud for story time. That way, kids can enjoy the pictures and the story while parents do the ‘heavy lifting’ of reading.

Overall, I highly recommend this book despite seeing a little room for improvement. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, and I think parents and teachers looking for a beautiful addition to their story time selection would get the most enjoyment out of it. I’d sure love to have friends like Lizzie and Leopold.

Lizzie and Leopold
View: on Bookshelves

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

How fun... a garden tea party with lizards in bonnets! I like the way you came up with a compromise to use the book as a read-aloud for story time to balance the beautiful illustrations with the more advanced writing. I enjoyed your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the illustrations are so fabulous. It's too bad that they don't quite jive all the time. Still, sounds like a cute children's book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

The first thing I thought when I saw the cover was "ooh, how Art Deco!" It looks just as beautiful as you say. And hey, who needs conflict anyway ;)
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

londonmartine wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:29 The first thing I thought when I saw the cover was "ooh, how Art Deco!" It looks just as beautiful as you say. And hey, who needs conflict anyway ;)
Exactly! Sometimes a fantasy land where everything is shiny and pretty is a nice break from reality. :)

Return to “Children's Books”