Official Review: Wee's Big Surprise by Faith Castonguay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Wee's Big Surprise by Faith Castonguay

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wee's Big Surprise" by Faith Castonguay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Faith Castonguay welcomes the reader to the home of Wee and her family in Wee’s Big Surprise. Wee is a happy and energetic little girl. The reader follows Wee as she enjoys a surprisingly exciting day.

Wee greets the day with happiness and great energy. She is bursting with excitement because her lifelong best friend, Bonnie, is coming over. As she anxiously watches out the window for Bonnie to arrive, Wee recalls some of the best moments of their friendship. Wee also thinks about the other important people in her life to pass the time. Wee has no idea that her mom has planned something very exciting for the day. Wee’s sunny day turns out to be much more fun than she had ever imagined.

This book is great fun from the first page to the last. This is a bright, high energy story. The author invites the reader to become an author by closing the book with blank pages to be used for writing your own story. There are a few grammatical errors throughout the text, but the story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read. Wee’s memories present the positive impact her many relationships have had on her life. Her father takes her on an adventure that creates a close and loving relationship. Wee and Bonnie’s close friendship began when the girls were babies and it strengthens as they grow older.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrator, Randy Jennings, created illustrations that breathe life into the story. Each picture is beautifully colored and very well executed. Each character's illustration gives them a bright and engaging personality. However, there is one glaring inconsistency between one illustration and the correlating text.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book is beautifully illustrated. The pictures will engage and delight young readers. The story is well written. The themes and lessons of the importance of optimism, and spending quality time with family and friends are clear and presented in an understandable way. However, there are a few grammatical errors that create a distraction.

The story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Children ages two to eight would enjoy this story. Reading Wee’s Big Surprise with or to young children will help parents and teachers start a conversation with young children about the importance of optimism, and spending quality time with family and friends.

Wee's Big Surprise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a book that evokes happy thoughts. This is a great book to give to young kids as you said it teaches them about optimism. What would be even more interesting is that after reading this book parents who have kids would experience a change in them: the wanting of having a close friend, a fun sleep over that even parents can't escape from. After all kids happiness is what matters to parents the most. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I liked the book review it was easy to understand and made you want to read the book even more.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I appreciate that this a story that instills in children the value of family and good morals. Too bad there are errors. Childrens' books especially should be thoroughly edited.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I enjoyed the fact that the author left a few blank pages at the end for the young readers to use their imagination and continue the story. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Demetrius 2016
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demetrius 2016 »

I really appreciate this author. Made me feel like a kid again. The essence and energy I get from this book is loving. I would definitely enjoy reading this to the Kids. Great job
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

I like this book because it always remind me when I was a little child. thanks for the revenue
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 02:11 Sounds like a book that evokes happy thoughts. This is a great book to give to young kids as you said it teaches them about optimism. What would be even more interesting is that after reading this book parents who have kids would experience a change in them: the wanting of having a close friend, a fun sleep over that even parents can't escape from. After all kids happiness is what matters to parents the most. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for checking my review out!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

atonykamau wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 05:32 I liked the book review it was easy to understand and made you want to read the book even more.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 07:20 I appreciate that this a story that instills in children the value of family and good morals. Too bad there are errors. Childrens' books especially should be thoroughly edited.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

cristinaro wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 07:28 I enjoyed the fact that the author left a few blank pages at the end for the young readers to use their imagination and continue the story. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for checking my review out.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

uchebest24 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 11:52 I like this book because it always remind me when I was a little child. thanks for the revenue
Thanks for checking my review out.
Mildred Stallworth
Favorite Author: Mildred Stallworth
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 98313
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Mildred Stallworth »

Thanks for the review! Wee and Bonnie’s close friendship began when they were babies and how the illustrations that were created brought life into their story. There's a lot of energy in this book.

Return to “Children's Books”