Official Review: Auntie Bertie and the flying circus mouse,

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Official Review: Auntie Bertie and the flying circus mouse,

Post by AbbyGNelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Auntie Bertie and the flying circus mouse," by Esther Loftus Gough.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is something so satisfying about finding a good children’s book that has a clever storyline, interesting pictures, and a thoughtful message. Auntie Bertie and the Flying Circus Mouse by Esther Loftus Gough is a children’s book meant for young readers that tried to have these three great elements I’ve listed.

Auntie Bertie and the Flying Circus Mouse is about the circus coming to town and Auntie Bertie’s aversion to the entire premise of people making ‘lots of noise, music! – and on top of that HAVE FUN!” She sets out to stop the circus from coming but can’t help but get sucked in by the fun and festivities. The story does not include an antagonist, which I think works well for a book for very young kids. It helps keep the story simple and more focused on learning about human interaction and other lessons that are good for young children.

While I think stories for this age should focus on didacticism, as previously mentioned, I don’t believe this story includes didactic elements very well. Auntie Bertie comes across as a grumpy Mary Poppins. She even says, “as I always say children should be seen and not heard!” which is something villainous Miss Andrews, from Mary Poppins, would say. Additionally, Auntie Bertie sees the circus owner eating with his elbows on the table, so she precedes to ‘whack’ his elbows down. While I don’t have children of my own, I wouldn’t want my nieces or nephews reading about this rude old lady.

In addition to didacticism, another common element to children’s literature is illustration. To begin with, this story claims to have a ‘Colour Therapy Twist’ (colour is the British spelling of the word). Gough attempts to explain what this means in the Introduction, but as a reader and an aunt I’m left confused as to what ‘Therapy’ is included for the children who read it. While I like the bright colors that are used as background for the pages with text, I personally felt that the illustrations were lacking. The pictures in this picture book were staid, unimaginative, and stiff. Also, many of the pictures do not show what is happening in the text. If I were to read this to a child, or if a child read this book to themselves, I think that this incongruity would be frustrating and annoying for them as it was for me.

I wanted this story to be a fun re-imagining of a Mary Poppins type character, but it fell flat for me. The elements to engage kids in a story that they would enjoy and learn from are just not there. Additionally, the focus of the story shifts half way through from Auntie Bertie to two cats – Molly and George. This shift added to my confusion while reading this story and caused the ending to feel insincere. For these reasons, and for the multitude of grammar errors, I will give Auntie Bertie and the Flying Circus Mouse a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

Auntie Bertie and the flying circus mouse,
View: on Bookshelves

Like AbbyGNelson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am sorry you found the book rather disappointing. It reminded me of a wonderful Romanian novel for children - Fram, the Polar Bear by Cezar Petrescu. It is the story of a bear being the favorite circus star for many years and then falling into melancholia; kids who love him raise the money to send him back to the Arctic where he learns to be among his kind again. Thank you for your honest review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Yikes! I enjoy the cover, but I think you can teach manners without whack in someone! It's too bad this one didn't quite make a good impression.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Oh! I'm sorry you this book so disappointing! I would take your word for this and I would not want my younger cousins to read a book that brings out less in people. Thanks for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I was relieved when you mentioned that the story lacks an antagonist. Too bad the protagonist falls short of being a role model to children.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mildred Stallworth
Favorite Author: Mildred Stallworth
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 98313
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Mildred Stallworth »

The cover of this book, makes the reader feel that there's nothing but fun at the circus. I really hate aunt Bertie wasn't more loving. From the story line she didn't like children and was very rude. No child would enjoy this book. Thanks for your review
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. It's a shame the book wasn't as good as you anticipated. I agree that the illustrations in a children's book should reflect what's occurring in the text. Hope your next book is better!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
FrancineNash1ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by FrancineNash1ok »

Auntie Bertir and the the flying circus mouse is a boring book. The book is not written very good. The children would not enjoy reading this book. The pictures could have been better.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

cristinaro wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 06:44 I am sorry you found the book rather disappointing. It reminded me of a wonderful Romanian novel for children - Fram, the Polar Bear by Cezar Petrescu. It is the story of a bear being the favorite circus star for many years and then falling into melancholia; kids who love him raise the money to send him back to the Arctic where he learns to be among his kind again. Thank you for your honest review!
Oh that sounds like a fun story! Thank you for sharing :)
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 06:48 Yikes! I enjoy the cover, but I think you can teach manners without whack in someone! It's too bad this one didn't quite make a good impression.
Yep, not every book can be great, but it was a bit sad.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 12:56 I was relieved when you mentioned that the story lacks an antagonist. Too bad the protagonist falls short of being a role model to children.
Yeah she wasn't my favorite, and i had such high hopes
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Mildred Stallworth wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:59 The cover of this book, makes the reader feel that there's nothing but fun at the circus. I really hate aunt Bertie wasn't more loving. From the story line she didn't like children and was very rude. No child would enjoy this book. Thanks for your review
Yeah it really is disappointing!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

bookowlie wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:58 I enjoyed reading your review. It's a shame the book wasn't as good as you anticipated. I agree that the illustrations in a children's book should reflect what's occurring in the text. Hope your next book is better!
Me too! I'm sure my next book will be better :)
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

There is something so satisfying about finding a good children’s book that has a clever storyline, interesting pictures, and a thoughtful message.

Thanks so much for this exposition to reviewing children's book.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Certainly doesn't sound like a book I'd show my younger family members. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”