Official Review: The Nest That Could Fly by William sawyers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Nest That Could Fly by William sawyers

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Nest That Could Fly" by William sawyers.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Somewhere in Concord, there once lived two robins. Troy was the father’s name and Tammy, the mother’s. Tammy was just about to lay eggs and they were both excited. They frantically started to prepare for a place where Tammy could lay her eggs and where the chicks would live until they were old enough to fly away. Unfortunately, regardless of how much you plan, some things are bound to happen that will prove to be a challenge.

When the three young chicks arrived, no one could have anticipated the series of events that would play out next. They encountered challenge after challenge but the family continued to stick together. As the young ones learnt to fly, their parents held their breath. It was no easy task to teach and watch them practice what they had been taught.

The Nest that could Fly by William Sawyers is a suspenseful tale that is both fascinating and riveting. The plot contains many thrilling twists that I could not have predicted at the beginning. At first, the story seems like any other ordinary tale but William Sawyers managed to surprise me, not just once but a couple of times.

The story had well-defined characters too who had bold personalities, sometimes too bold though. At one point the father laughs at his young chick after she crushes. The young chick retorts demanding that her father and sister shut up. That confused me a bit since the book is meant for children and therefore should contain good lessons that a child should emulate. No parent would want their child to think that replying rudely is okay. Additionally, no parent should laugh at their own child when they are going through challenges. They should be the voice of encouragement and reason.

The illustrations, on the other hand, were done beautifully. They were creative and colorful and they reflected the moments in the storyline accurately. I, however, found the background colors to be too colorful.

The book also contains many grammatical errors. In many cases, the author mixes up tenses. This was a great distraction and affected my enjoyment of the story. I also found it unnecessary for the author’s photograph to be in both the first and last pages of the book. Just one photo, probably at the back, would have been enough.

Another feature of the book I did not like was when the father says he would prefer boys and the mother girls as they wait for the eggs to hatch. Considering that the book is meant for young readers, this may be confusing to them. Still, The Nest that could Fly by William Sawyers contains some great features and hence I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

The Nest That Could Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Maybe the confusing elements you noticed came from the author's wish to make his story more realistic rather than simply taking care to deliver a strict moral message. I am disappointed with the large number of grammatical mistakes, though. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Thanks for your review! I was interesting in reading this one my little one but I was turned off when you mentioned the little chick's retort and the father laughing at his one of his chicks. I definitely do not want to encourage that behavior even if it happens it really happens in some homes.
Jasper1205
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jasper1205 »

Yea yhe books teaches a lot but the mistake are many
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for sharing your review, I for one will take your advice. It is definitely no a good book if it teaches bad discipline to children. When was it ok to speak rudely to parents or anyone. When was it ok for a parent to laugh at a kids mistake. I may not be a parent but I definitely would not give this book to my kid or anyone. Thank you once again!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

the book is OK but not all things they say is Reality thank you for the review
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

When it comes to this book, it looks like the cons outweigh the pros. Although i'm a lover of children's books, i will have to pass.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Children's books with grammatical errors are one of my pet peeves. Children don't know the difference yet, so I think that we have to be even more careful at that age. It's too bad.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mildred Stallworth
Favorite Author: Mildred Stallworth
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 98313
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Mildred Stallworth »

Books for children are suppose to make a difference in a child's life, not to teach them to be rude or show bad behavior. I agree with the reviewer, no parent should want their child to think that replying rudely to anybody is okay. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”