Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by Myron Abrams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by Myron Abrams

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chubby Wubbles" by Myron Abrams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams is a fun tale that follows the life of Chubby, a pet ferret. Chubby lives with his best friend Coco and their caretaker, Mark. One day everything changes and Chubby has to live with Jeffrey, Mark’s brother. Jeffrey is fun, loving, caring and really sweet to Chubby but he is not Coco. Chubby cannot seem to shake off the need to be with Coco. Will he ever find her? He looks for her everywhere. He searches at Mark’s house, at Jeffrey’s apartment, and at the park but never seems to find her. At one point his search costs him dearly. Still, he longs for her and will not give up.

M. J. Abrams is a wonderful writer and the book, Chubby Wubbles, is proof of that. There are many great facets of the book. One of them was the title, Chubby Wubbles. It is fun, it rhymes and it is comical. It is written also in a playful beautiful font. The title itself is bound to draw the attention of many young readers. It is what got me to read the book in the first place.

The photos of ferrets in the book added an interesting twist to the story. They made the tale more realistic. The photos also aided my comprehension of the story and helped me visualize the storyline. They also brought out the characters roles and the setting of the story. I especially liked the image of the park and the playpen used by Chubby. The photos are clear and they go a long way in explaining the narrative.

M. J. Abrams develops all the key characters sufficiently along the plot. The characters are also not too many as to confuse the reader and the selection of a ferret for a key character made the story even more enthralling. The close bond between Jeffrey and Chubby was really interesting. Any child with a pet will definitely resonate with the theme of the book. Additionally, I liked the way the author highlighted the different activities that Chubby undertook with Jeffrey and also the part where the author explains how Jeffrey was careful to take care of Chubby devotedly.

Overall, Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams is a really fascinating book and I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The plot is well narrated and the author does a great job in eliminating any areas of the storyline that would breed confusion in a young reader’s mind. I only noticed one grammatical error. The book is written in a simple but impactful language and includes enough emotional suspense that will build and sustain the reader’s interest for them to keep reading the book.

Chubby Wubbles
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like the title of the book! Ferrets are such fun creatures, and this sounds like a cute tale for kids. Thanks so much for the introduction to it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is a fun cute book! I loved your review of it. Not the book for me though.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! The book sounds like a great read for young animal-lovers. I definitely would have loved it as a kid.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oooh ferrets!? I can see little kids eating this up! Thanks for telling us about it!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Mildred Stallworth
Favorite Author: Mildred Stallworth
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 98313
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Mildred Stallworth »

What a unique title and seems to be a great book for children and adults. Thanks for the review!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The title just says it all! It sounds like a “pet name”, and even without knowing a thing about the book, I think most kids would just be hooked by that. Your review makes it sound like it centers around the theme of adjustment and change. What a great way to teach kids that change is ok and doesn’t need to be scary. I could use a lesson in that, and I am far from being a child! Thank you for the insightful review!
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Children's Books”