Official Review: Billy bear cub the well mannered cub

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Billy bear cub the well mannered cub

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Billy bear cub the well mannered cub" by Chad Leisse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Billy Bear Cub- The Well-Mannered Cub is an informative and colorful book that follows the life of Billy, a young cub. Billy is at a crucial time in his life where he needs to learn how to be well-mannered. His wise mother is keen to teach him the good manners that will serve him even when he grows up. Mother bear teaches her young cub in many practical and innovative ways. She is very intentional and includes Billy in some of her activities so that he can learn from her. Best of all, every time he acts in a good manner, he earns something!

One of the most outstanding aspects of the book Billy Bear Cub- The Well-Mannered Cub by Chad Leisse is that it is very colorful. Any young reader will definitely appreciate the beautiful illustrations that show Mother Bear and her son as they engage in different activities. The background also contains different colors that bring the pages of the book to life. The illustrations add to the depth of the message contained in Billy Bear Cub, making comprehension much easier. Parents will definitely enjoy reading the book with their children.

The theme contained in the plot is also very practical and helpful to young children and their parents. The book presents an effective way in which the child can easily learn how to have good manners. Many parents struggle with inculcating good and useful values in their young children but through this book, they will learn easier ways how they can do it successfully.

Another feature I liked about the book was the beautiful font that made reading very easy. I found it very applicable to young children. This coupled with the rhyming words contained in the story, Billy Bear Cub- The Well-Mannered Cub, makes reading an enjoyable experience that will engross any young mind. The dialogue between Billy and his mother also aids comprehension and drives the message of the book quite effectively.

The cover page was definitely a plus for me as it captured my attention and built my interest in reading the book. On the cover, Billy seats with his mother and looks up to her. I found the image quite intimate. It reflected the close bond between the two which is the best setting and environment to teach a child good manners. On the cover, Billy looks eager to learn from his wise mother.

Unfortunately, the book contains some grammatical errors. Given this is a children’s book; I expected greater meticulousness in spelling and grammar. Even so, the book Billy Bear Cub- The Well-Mannered Cub contains many great features and hence I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Billy bear cub the well mannered cub
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the fact that the book has a great font for kids. It's too bad about the errors because I believe it's even more important to be correct when dealing with children as they can't tell the difference. Still, the subject of the book is important. Hopefully the author can make a few corrections. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! It sounds like once the editing errors are fixed that it will be a great book for children!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Manners are very important in our house so I think I would have enjoyed a book like this for my children. It stinks about the errors though; kind of makes it a non-read for kids until it is re-edited.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Children's Books”