Official Review: I Can say Please and Thank You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: I Can say Please and Thank You

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Can say Please and Thank You" by Owen Joseph.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Owen Joseph welcomes the reader to the home of Little Owen and his family in I Can Say Please and Thank You! Little Owen excitedly wakes up on Thanksgiving Day. The reader follows Little Owen and his family as they enjoy the celebrations of the holiday and practice good habits.

Little Owen and his family begin the Thanksgiving Day celebrations with a delicious breakfast. As the story continues, Mom, Dad, and Little Owen each do their best to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. The family is expecting friends and family to join them for dinner, and Little Owen is anxiously awaiting the arrival of his big sister, Josephine. She has promised to bring a gift for Little Owen to dinner.

As the family completes each task throughout the day, they are polite and respectful to one another. They compliment one another and practice good manners as they do the shopping and prepare the Thanksgiving meal. Good manners are very important to this family. Little Owen loves to sing the song that he has made up entitled, "I Can Say Please and Thank You."

This book includes the lyrics to Little Owen's song and accompanying sheet music. Young children enjoy learning through music. Singing this song is a fun way to teach children about the importance of politeness and using good manners. There are a few grammatical errors throughout the text, but the story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrations in this book breathe life into the story. Each picture is beautifully colored and very well executed. Each character's illustration gives them a bright and engaging personality. However, there is one glaring inconsistency between one illustration and the correlating text.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book is beautifully illustrated. The pictures will engage and delight young readers. The story is well written. The themes and lessons of the importance of politeness and using good manners are clear and presented in an understandable way. However, there are a few grammatical errors that create a distraction.

The story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Children ages two to eight would enjoy this story, especially when accompanied by an adult with musical talent. Reading I Can Say Please and Thank You! with or to young children will help parents and teachers start a conversation with young children about the importance of politeness and using good manners.

I Can say Please and Thank You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Interesting book for my niece who loves singing.
ann1960
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ann1960 »

I don't even have to read the book. I just about know how the rest of the book would be.Very good in describing each chapter as the book goes on. Pictures and music are a very important part of life.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This book has a valuable message to convey to kids of young age. Manners is important and a very difficult thing to find in kids these days. Kids don't say sorry or thank you anymore. I believe this shows the value of please and thank you. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think this book increases the chances of teaching kids good manners in an enjoyable way. Music definitely helps in this respect. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Awww! I think it's great that this includes music for a song! It sounds like a cute book, and it's never to early to start learning manners. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

This book is fantastic as your review! Indeed it is important to teach young children good demeanours and life approaches...there are grown folk now with nasty attitudes.
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

This book is awesome the best way to teache children is by song or Illustrations it Draw them more closer and better understanding. Thanks for the review
Evans8888
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Evans8888 »

The book is awesome.. clear pictures and great writeups
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Jonida wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 15:31 Interesting book for my niece who loves singing.
Absolutely. Your niece will most likely enjoy this story. Thanks for checking out my review.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

ann1960 wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:32 I don't even have to read the book. I just about know how the rest of the book would be.Very good in describing each chapter as the book goes on. Pictures and music are a very important part of life.
Yes. I agree. Young readers love pictures and music. Thanks for the kind words, and checking out my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 21:14 This book has a valuable message to convey to kids of young age. Manners is important and a very difficult thing to find in kids these days. Kids don't say sorry or thank you anymore. I believe this shows the value of please and thank you. Thank you for sharing!
Yes. This book definitely teaches the value of please and thank you. Thanks for the kind words, and checking out my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

cristinaro wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 09:36 I think this book increases the chances of teaching kids good manners in an enjoyable way. Music definitely helps in this respect. Thank you for your review!
This book definitely teaches kids good manners in an enjoyable way. Young readers love music. Thanks for the kind words, and checking out my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 09:53 Awww! I think it's great that this includes music for a song! It sounds like a cute book, and it's never to early to start learning manners. Thanks for the review!
This book definitely teaches kids the importance of good manners. Young readers love music. Thanks for the kind words, and checking out my review.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This sounds like valuable material for parents, teachers, tutors and nannies handling growing children. I'm not sure all are aware they should teach such in the first place. We're too busy nowadays, it seems.

Return to “Children's Books”