Official Review: Winell Road by Kate Foster

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Winell Road by Kate Foster

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winell Road" by Kate Foster.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winell Road by Kate Foster is a children's book that falls under the sci-fi/fantasy genre. The main protagonist is Jack, a 12-year-old boy, who seemed to be living a normal suburban life until one summer, he had an unexpected encounter with aliens. This sets in motion a chain of events that anyone with a spirit of adventure would be glad to experience.

The aliens contact Jack and tell him that they need his help to retrieve what they call the "vitax". It is said to maintain balance in the universe and in the wrong hands, it could cause devastating effects. With the help of his new neighbor, Roxy, who suspiciously moves in at this very timely moment, Jack sets out on an adventure. What awaits this brave pair? Will they succeed?

This was undoubtedly one of the best summers Jack had ever had. Although he always felt that the residents of the cul-de-sac he had lived in all his life were weird, he could never really place a finger on the specifics of their weirdness. For him to find out that he was the last one to find out the truth about his neighborhood and that even his own own parents were in on it is so shocking that he feels very betrayed.

The heart-pounding and sometimes dangerous adventures that Jack and Roxy undertake surely made for a good read. From the beginning, the suspense was rife and it kept me glued till the very end. I especially liked how dramatic irony was highlighted by multiple clues hidden throughout the story. The puzzles had me trying very hard to solve them and when I found out the truth, in the end, I was more than blown away because I clearly didn't see it coming. The ending was definitely the highlight of the book because of the room it provides for a second installment. I eagerly hope that the author will pursue this avenue.

Amidst the supernatural occurrences, themes of friendship, trust, family values, and obedience are expertly weaved in. This aspect of the book offers valuable lessons to all, especially younger readers because the content is presented in such a palatable manner. The language used is also simple with no overbearing vocabulary and in instances where difficult or foreign words were used, the meaning was thoroughly explained.

I liked this book because it shows the reader that an alternate reality is possible and in today's society where children spend most of their time indoors, it could ignite the spark of outdoor activities. It also broadens readers' imagination and will encourage them to look beyond the surface because not all is always as it seems.

For such an action-packed story, I was glad that it was professionally edited, with minimal errors that did not detract from the storyline. These include an extra letter after a word and wrongfully conjoined words. Without hesitation, I will, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of science fiction, anyone who likes deciphering clues and children of ages 10-14.

Winell Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
michael4212
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by michael4212 »

This is a nice book
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

This seems an interesting book, but not my cup of tea!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am a lover of science fiction especially one with adventure....Awesome review!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love kids books, and particularly when it also involves flights of fancy, as all good sci-fi or fantasy books do. This sounds like another fun read.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 23:01 I love kids books, and particularly when it also involves flights of fancy, as all good sci-fi or fantasy books do. This sounds like another fun read.
Yes it is. Thank you.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The ideology of the plot is fascinating! The suspenseful ride seems helpful in keeping the reader glued to the book. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I believe that books like these could help children and teenagers rediscover the pleasure of reading. I know they are particularly drawn to the sci-fic/fantasy genre and from your description they could easily imagine themselves in Jack's shoes in Winell Road. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! This is one of my favorite types of books. Sounds like something I should pick up when I'm looking for a nice, easy read! Thanks for the great review. I just can't wait to find out what happens with Jack and the aliens.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Holianabarredo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Holianabarredo »

the review is amazing. Also i love the art style of the book cover, you seen to love this book and it totally made me want to add it in my reading list or give it to my younger siblings :)
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 08:26 Oooh! This is one of my favorite types of books. Sounds like something I should pick up when I'm looking for a nice, easy read! Thanks for the great review. I just can't wait to find out what happens with Jack and the aliens.
Thank you. I hope There is a sequel to this book. I also liked how unpredictable it is.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

cristinaro wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:22 I believe that books like these could help children and teenagers rediscover the pleasure of reading. I know they are particularly drawn to the sci-fic/fantasy genre and from your description they could easily imagine themselves in Jack's shoes in Winell Road. Thank you for your review!
I'm a grown-up, but this book made me want to go outside and look for aliens.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Holianabarredo wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 09:53 the review is amazing. Also i love the art style of the book cover, you seen to love this book and it totally made me want to add it in my reading list or give it to my younger siblings :)
Thank you. I hope you get to check it out.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 22:06 The ideology of the plot is fascinating! The suspenseful ride seems helpful in keeping the reader glued to the book. Thank you for sharing!
The suspense was so expertly weaved in it had me in awe. It is often rare to find a book with such consistency.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Aliens, an object that keeps the balance of the universe, and a neighborhood with a mystery? Sounds like an adventurous story my daughter would enjoy. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Children's Books”