Official Review: Princesses Don't Wear Glasses

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Re: Official Review: Princesses Don't Wear Glasses

Post by kislany »

The first paragraph of your review is the story of my childhood. I started wearing glasses from the of 3. I grew up going to school feeling very insecure because of them. And trust me, kids can be quite cruel to people with glasses or any other non-standard "features." Not sure I'll want to read this book, as probably will give me a case of PTSD :)
Christinedoreather
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christinedoreather »

The book is really good for young girls who might not like glasses .age range 5-13
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

The story appears really refreshing and a typical fun read for adults as well! It's very real because children tend to connect such aspects of their lives with their personal sense of security.

Thanks for the lovely review!
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Great review :) I never needed glasses as a kid but there were some at my school that did, and I think this book would have been a good addition to the school library.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love that authors write books that cover real topics and help children understand, accept, and deal with the given situation. Glasses are super fashionable, I've definitely have had trouble choosing and have felt unsure myself but when you can see all of the details it doesn't matter anymore.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is a comprehensive review of a children's book. I like your style of writing. A Good review. Thanks
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! The premise of the book is very relatable, as kids can feel insecure about the slightest changes in their appearance.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kislany wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 11:14 The first paragraph of your review is the story of my childhood. I started wearing glasses from the of 3. I grew up going to school feeling very insecure because of them. And trust me, kids can be quite cruel to people with glasses or any other non-standard "features." Not sure I'll want to read this book, as probably will give me a case of PTSD :)
I'm sorry that you were bullied by other kids for wearing glasses as a child. Sadly, children can be cruel to others who look different in any way. Nowadays, I think it has become more common for kids to wear glasses and there is a wider variety of fashionable glasses to pick from. Hopefully, both of these things have made kids feel more confident wearing glasses if they need them.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It is so nice to see an author take the time to write a story that teaches little ones about something that might be a mystery to them. From a child’s perspective, glasses probably seem odd, so to have a book take out some of that unknown is of great value. Glasses can then be seen as a tool for enhancing life versus an ugly piece of hardware. In my day, there was much stigma over glasses and braces, but I see times have changed a little bit. Glasses are now a fashion statement to some. This books sounds like a delight, and I enjoyed reading your review.
Everything happens for a reason...
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

cpru68 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 11:21 It is so nice to see an author take the time to write a story that teaches little ones about something that might be a mystery to them. From a child’s perspective, glasses probably seem odd, so to have a book take out some of that unknown is of great value. Glasses can then be seen as a tool for enhancing life versus an ugly piece of hardware. In my day, there was much stigma over glasses and braces, but I see times have changed a little bit. Glasses are now a fashion statement to some. This books sounds like a delight, and I enjoyed reading your review.
Thanks for the kind words. It's so true how glasses are a fashion trend now vs. years ago. It's always nice when a book can bolster a child's self-esteem, in addition to being entertaining.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I agree with you, @cpru68. It is kind and considerate of the author to pay attention and write to teach lessons about these kinds of problems that may seem mundane or very little importance to majority. I very much appreciated the thought of writing such story that can bring big impact and great result for those who are facing the same dilemma.
Blackbeauty500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Blackbeauty500 »

Reading this book about Princesses Don't Wear Glasses
When I was age 15 I needed glasses eye doctor's and glasses wasn't available to me back then. But now I do wear glasses and they help me to see better, so all children who needs glasses should wear them. Because it's available and helpful for your eyes. No one wants to see a blind princess so why take risks. If I knew a child princess I would tell them to have custom made with diamonds and pearls and gold then she would be a real and beautifull princess. Love the book author and story very interesting. I would also let my grandkids read this book.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Great book for kids to hear on how to be kind to those that are different. I will be adding this to my shelves.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

As an adult I can still sympathize with this. I have had corrective lenses since I was 2 so I don't remember the first instance of wearing glasses but every time I have to buy a new pair of glasses it is a serious challenge. It is much harder than buying clothes and I'm grateful for contact lenses!

I do wonder how relevant this really is though. I do remember getting braces and it was almost cool to have them because you could pick from all sorts of colors and everyone in high school had them anyway.
I even know a bunch of people who make wearing glasses a fashion statement. Maybe the author takes this tactic. Glasses and braces are just another way to accessorize ladies :)

Return to “Children's Books”