Review by wemida -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
wemida
Currently Reading: Lunch Money
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemida.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by wemida -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by wemida »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is an amusing children’s book about a mysterious smell that Sigfried is trying to figure out. Is it his various colored and patterned socks or is it something else? Something worse than smelly socks, is that possible? Sigfried takes the reader on an adventure to discover what this great stink could be and ultimately what he plans to do about it.

The funny ending of the book had me laughing loudly. I had a feeling about what he might get up to when I saw the toilet brush and toilet. The illustrations are surreal yet identifiable and the large, colorful print make it a joy to read. The one bit that I wondered if children would get is the reference to “sow lard” on the page that talked about spaghetti and baked beans. It doesn’t take away from the reading though. I did notice one slight typo. It was ‘ol instead of ol’ pizza. Nevertheless, it did not detract from the comprehension of the text.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book because it is an easy and fun read. It can be read aloud, read independently by a child, and enjoyed by readers of all ages. It is nonsensical but is balanced out by the realistic objects the story includes. Since the book is intended for young readers, age 7 – 10, older readers may not enjoy it as much, if at all. Although older people with younger siblings, nieces or nephews or are second language learners of English may find this an enjoyable read.

One of the best audiences is for parents, educators and the like who have youngsters in their lives. Otherwise, the story line may seem long winded for an unenthusiastic reader, who may want to get to the punchline of the story and not be bothered with the fanciful details.

Nevertheless, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is worth the read, despite the slow buildup of the simplistic storyline that might be off-putting to some readers. As one gets into the story, the short paragraphs, rhyming words, color contrast of the black ink versus the bright words and richly colorful illustrations lends an exciting aspect to the reading of the book. One very cute aspect of the story is the tiny bumble bee in the corner of the pages asking the same questions we as readers want to know. What is that terrible smell?!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like wemida's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Glad you enjoyed the book so much. A great read for children. Nice job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”