Official Review: Tails by WJ Scott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: Tails by WJ Scott

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tails" by WJ Scott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Mum, if you had a tail, what would it look like?” may seem like one of the silly, random questions that children throw at you out of the blue. But for WJ Scott, it was the catalyst for Tails (Book One, Silver Wishes Series), an engrossing, charmingly-illustrated story of courage, friendship, and self-acceptance.

Tails weaves together three alternating plot threads. On one hand, there’s Kywah and his pack of silvertails – cat-like, herbivorous beasts with purple, pink, or white furs, whose tails possess magical qualities. Tails are everything to a silvertail, so when a hunter lops off Kywah’s, not only does he lose his sense of danger and direction but he also loses his pride and the respect of his pack. On the other hand, there’s the wizard, Tullius, and his apprentice, Zeke. In his obsession to resurrect the wizards’ waning magic, Tullius sets his greedy sights on the silvertails’ tails, promising a reward for each severed appendage. Finally, there’s the huntsmen themselves, most notably Samsa, the same cold-blooded hunter who had hacked off Kywah’s tail. Samsa is determined to make a fortune out of the hunt, no matter how many he kills – silvertails or humans alike.

When Kywah volunteers to seek the deep magic that will invoke a barrier around their home, his path crosses with Samsa once more. Held captive in the hunters’ camp, Kywah soon develops a bond with a high-spirited dog called Buster Boy and his owner, a boy named Cody. Throughout Kywah’s journey, his confidence grows and he begins to find an inner strength that transcends any of his outward imperfections – truly a timeless lesson that will resonate with readers of all ages.

Scott is a clever storyteller. There’s a simplicity to the individual plot threads that ingeniously belies the full depth of the entire story. This is Kywah’s story for sure, but the other characters have their own tales to tell. There’s a fairy who, like Kywah, is held captive for her magical abilities. There’s a gypsy girl who’s connected to the wizard in some way and who aids Kywah at a time of great need. There’s Pieter, Cody’s father, who regrets joining the hunters but is left with no choice but to go along for his family’s sake. Scott manages to convey a strong sense of authenticity in the story. No character is there just to advance the plot or to spice up the protagonist’s adventures. Instead, each magical creature and person involved has their own history and life purpose. Not everyone has a direct interaction with Kywah or the silvertails, but what each does – by choice or by force – affects the outcome of the story in good or terrible ways.

The only exception to this is Samsa, who, in my opinion, is dangerously close to becoming a full-fledged caricature villain (His motivations don’t seem to go beyond money and the enjoyment of other creatures’ sufferings). However, since Tails is just the first book in a planned trilogy, there’s plenty of time for readers to get a glimpse of this villain’s humanity in the succeeding installments.

With great characterization comes a compelling story. The plot in Tails is closely integrated in ways that may not seem so obvious at first, hence giving readers a pleasant surprise as more and more fragments of the story are revealed. The separate narratives dovetail neatly with one another, and although the switch between Kywah’s first-person perspective to the other characters’ third-person points of view can be strange at first, the transitions do not disrupt the reading experience once you get used to it. In the end, everything coalesces so organically into a beautiful, cohesive whole, leaving readers with a satisfying conclusion – and of course, an excellent starting point for the next book.

Tails is classified as a children’s book, but given the contents and the level of vocabulary used in the narrative, I’d say it’s more suited for older readers. There’s a heartrending scene where Samsa practically tortures Kywah – something that may be too bloody and violent for a younger audience. While the writing is quite elegant, some of the dialogues tend to be a little stiff for the person uttering them. For instance, Cody doesn’t sound like a little boy when he says, “I despise the hunters and hate the killing.” His father also sounds more like a lecturer than a farmer when he says, “Prior to leaving home, I read through the old family diaries.” Scott’s descriptive and narrative writing skills are admirable, but her similes tend to lose me at times (e.g., “The dog followed me like a lingering fart,” or “[T]he water fairy writhed…like a sabre-tooth eel with a toothache.”). The book also has minor typographical errors that I hope will be rectified in a future edition.

I rate Tails 3 out of 4 stars. While I was mesmerized by the characterizations and the surprising complexity of the plot, there were low points in the narrative that jolted me out of the delightful spell I was under. Nevertheless, Tails is a captivating story filled with endearing characters and worthwhile life lessons that will surely appeal to a wide range of readers. If you love stories filled with magic, animals, and adventure, Tails will be a great addition to your bookshelf.

Tails
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I couldn't help but smile at the introductory quote, such a bizarre question but really catchy! The plot is very interesting, all about "tails" a bit of wizardry, a huntsman, a good bundle of fantasy. I think anyone who is into magic and action would be willing to take a spin in this book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really cute concept. I love the question that spurred the book. It sounds like it could use a bit of reworking, but it's still worth a read. I'm not sure it's for me, but I appreciate the information. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Wow, those similes are painful! I'm glad to hear that most of the book was more satisfactory.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Based on your review, this book would tickle my fancy lol. Seems like a read that would appeal to one's "inner child".
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:04 I couldn't help but smile at the introductory quote, such a bizarre question but really catchy! The plot is very interesting, all about "tails" a bit of wizardry, a huntsman, a good bundle of fantasy. I think anyone who is into magic and action would be willing to take a spin in this book. Thank you!
I had the same reaction when I was reading the short background of the book. Definitely a unique concept.

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:28 This sounds like a really cute concept. I love the question that spurred the book. It sounds like it could use a bit of reworking, but it's still worth a read. I'm not sure it's for me, but I appreciate the information. Thanks!
Dog lovers would love the dog in this story - he's adorable. Thanks for dropping by!

prettysmart wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 20:18 Based on your review, this book would tickle my fancy lol. Seems like a read that would appeal to one's "inner child".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

As an adult who never really fully grew up, I adore children's - or tweens' (?) - stories, and this tail seems great, fur real, especially with the catastrophe involved of losing ones tail. Ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

But all jokes aside, this is an interesting premise that I'm simply going to have to find the time to read. It sounds kind of complex, too, what with three plots to follow, but I'm sure I could wade my way through everything... Thanks for the thorough review.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Aphroditelaughs wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 20:06 Wow, those similes are painful! I'm glad to hear that most of the book was more satisfactory.
Yeah, I just didn't get them at all. But I did enjoy the story :). Thanks for dropping by!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

MsTri wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 17:09 As an adult who never really fully grew up, I adore children's - or tweens' (?) - stories, and this tail seems great, fur real, especially with the catastrophe involved of losing ones tail. Ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

But all jokes aside, this is an interesting premise that I'm simply going to have to find the time to read. It sounds kind of complex, too, what with three plots to follow, but I'm sure I could wade my way through everything... Thanks for the thorough review.
:eusa-think: [thinking really hard of an equally clever comeback]

Nope. Nada. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book has very attractive theme, but the plot is somewhat complex for children. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very comprehensive review. The thing that appeals to me most about the book as you describe it is the well-crafted plot, but the overall scenario also sounds fascinating. I'm grateful for your comments about suitable age groups - this is one I'd need to check out myself before passing on to younger members of the family.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like the idea of tails with magic powers. Sounds fun and different. I agree with you in that it is a story for older readers. When you mentioned there is a cold-blooded hunter in the story, I thought this is not suitable for children. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Children's Books”