Official Review: The Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deartax
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Re: Official Review: The Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Post by Deartax »

The Word Collector was a charming book that will grab 6-9 year olds attention. It leads the child to think of words they know but never use.
It quietly demonstrates our shyness holds us back. It reveals that stepping forward using our words, opens new doors to friends and knowledge.
I loved the way the author guides by words and pictures and helps open the readers minds to words and their proper use.
Words we know and never use. Words used correctly.
Book contains a way to lead the readers to exploring words in new ways and sharing words with others around them.
Marvelous book that grabs reader to continue.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Your review is packed with all the ingredients of a good review. Learning the correct form of English from the onset is great. I hope kids will love this book. Congratulations!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds like a cute little educational book. I'd like to read it to kids. Congrats on the review.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Great review! I can really feel that you enjoyed reading it. You explained the things you liked about it in detail and I appreciate that. This makes me want to read this to my little cousin already!
emma_books2018
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-books2018.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by emma_books2018 »

I really enjoyed reading this review. I am currently teaching English as a foreign language and, having read your comments, I think that "The Word Collector" could be a valuable resource for some of the higher level, younger children that I teach. I think that we would all enjoy the whimsical illustrations. I personally love attention to detail in these so think that I would also love bald eagle George Washington!
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I can imagine that the illustrations are good. The covers seems to give that impression.
Wish I had this growing up. Looks like it would be very useful for kids and even some adults!
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I enjoyed reading your review. You are right, this is a great book for young kids to learn new vocabulary and parts of speech. The illustrations were fun and cute and the handwritten words were a nice touch. Thanks for a great review.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Wow, this book sounds great for teaching young ones about the different elements of language. Thanks for the great review.
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

The book sounds so interesting, I am not a kid but I wont mind flipping through its pages. :lol: I think its great that there is a book to help kids in learning and sharing and that is also as interesting and entertaining as you have described. Good review by the way I learnt a few tips for my future reviews. :)
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Great review. The illustration on the cover is awesome. This should be a great read for kids. The author has done a nice job.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I agree with your review, the educational aspect is excellent, and achieved with engaging illustrations for children. Reading, check, learning, check, enjoying the pictures, check. It looks like a winner for the right aged child. My kids are now all older, but this book would be useful in the classroom, at home, and for a home reader.
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

The Word Collector is an awesome book for kids. It seems very educative and fun. Nice job.
Mersey

Post by Mersey »

Wow! I wouldn't have put it any better. This is definitely a phenomenal book for children who are eager to learn new words and improve their spoken and written English. This review has captured the simplicity, clarity, elaborate, and educational value that has been put in by Evelyn Dunbar in this book. I have taken a good look at the book and I enjoyed reading it. It has a touch of fun and gives a playful way of learning. I would as well recommend it to Parents, Teachers and Children who look to improve their English language. In my opinion, it cuts across. Thank you BookishCreature, this is beautiful.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

What a great way to teach kids words and speech patterns!
Ochieng Ariba
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 91389">The concubine</a>
Currently Reading: Anthills of Savannah
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-ariba.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Ochieng Ariba »

Wealth and any other thing comes and goes, but the word endures forever. I agree with your review. Priscilla's decision to invest in words will benefit generations to come.

Return to “Children's Books”