Official Review: The Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: The Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Post by Chitopogi »

Nice review of a good tool! "The Word Collector" by Evelyn Dunbar Webb is a tool for reading for young kids. I am a volunteer at a home for wayward children and I think this will help in encouraging them to read. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
androssy1234
Currently Reading: When Ice Cream is Not Enough
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by androssy1234 »

This book is really important especially for the young generation to help them develop efficient English communication skills...
lawsonkawaza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lawsonkawaza »

while the educational intellect behind the book is amazing and very useful for kids
touheed005
Currently Reading: Prophase
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by touheed005 »

i think this will be a great book. Cover page already made me curious about this book, the style of illustration seems really nice & interesting.
TheMill13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by TheMill13 »

This book is great! It’s great for children to read to make learning English fun!! My 10 year old Granddaughter read it to me today and she really enjoys it.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I enjoyed your review of this book. I love the adorable characters! The story is a page turner as the reader wants to find out if the ostrich will finally use his words in the right context.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

I completely agree with you about the educational value of this book. I read it with my daughter, and she decided she wanted to be a word collector like Priscilla. She insisted on going out to buy a new notebook, and we copied some of Priscilla's words into it. We've been gradually adding new words from other books we read together and other words related to the things she likes doing ever since. She keeps her notebooks (this and a couple of old ones with pictures in) in her closet, just like Priscilla does in the story.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'The Word Collector' is a book for children par excellence! The author Evelyn Dunbar Webb explores the possibility of becoming a writer in children and shows a way out to them through her unique expression and style of writing. In this work of fiction, Priscilla the ostrich wanders around in the wide world with her inner potential trying to find an outlet. The birds such as penguins, quail, ibises are other fictitious characters in the story. I find the author's purpose of writing serious and instructive. The illustrations by Matt Tyree are thought provoking!
The book is a precious effort to teach children how to fulfill their aim of becoming a writer. Priscilla is an ocean of knowledge! Also her personality is grave, integrated and receptive. She collects new words in her notebook wherever she goes and whatever she does- shopping, going to library, collecting envelopes from the mail carrier, Mrs. Thorn blossom. But she never brings the words into practical use. How does her personality blossom into full potential? Will she reach her destination of life? The book is rich and inspiring collection of nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives. The children would love to follow Priscilla and her ways of life! Also this rejuvenates our spirit of inquisitiveness. Reading the story every time, I am inspired to find the nucleus of my being! What is my approach and outlook towards life and how is it different to the world?
I find the book memorable. It aims at bringing out the extraordinary talent of a child in every possible way. The plot of the story is wholesome. I liked to find Priscilla shopping at the grocery store. The words she makes a note of while doing these jobs are common and easy. I also like the fact that children's creativity finds an expression through the story. The truth of discovering one's inner possibility is neglected by our modern education system. Many potential writers among children will find self-expression after reading the book. It inspires us to cover all the aspects of life and work related to becoming a writer. However I was left with the feeling at the end of the story that such aspects of Priscilla's personality needed more elaboration.
Other books I have read that can form a base of education for children are 'What's College About Anyway?' by Betty Thomas Patterson and 'Rocky' by Jennie Nicassio. The books that are extra to children's normal course inculcate in them an interest in the world! They start understanding their course books and even their life better. I feel influenced by the depth of Priscilla's personality and feel a resemblance to it. The field of writing seems to me well-defined rather than unmapped after the read! The book helps me discover the kind of writer I am and develop my own style of writing. It is a landmark in my writing career. It confirms to me that the inner knowledge is covered by the veil of ignorance. I hardly found any grammatical errors in the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars!
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This sounds like a lovely children's book. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”