Official Review: The Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: The Word Collector by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Word Collector" by Evelyn Dunbar Webb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when you have too many words, but you’re too shy to share them? Priscilla the ostrich faces this exact dilemma in Evelyn Dunbar Webb’s The Word Collector. This educational picture book is intended to teach kids aged six to nine about different types of words (nouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives) through Priscilla’s story. Priscilla writes down every new word she comes across, but she won’t use them – not even to speak! Will she ever learn to share the words she loves?

The pictures in this book were the first things to jump out at me. Matt Tyree’s illustrations are nothing short of adorable. All the characters in this book are birds, from penguins to quail to ibises, and they’re all drawn in a sweet cartoony style that’s sure to delight little kids.

The attention to detail is wonderful. In particular, I got a huge kick out of a portrait in the background of one scene that featured George Washington reimagined as a bald eagle! In addition, the lists of words Priscilla finds are not typed, but handwritten in a neat but natural script – a cute detail that adds a lot of visual interest to the pages.

The writing is simple and age-appropriate, though Priscilla’s handwritten words will definitely stretch the vocabulary of young readers. Words like ‘leprechaun’ and ‘legendary’ may lead to some trips to the dictionary. However, this higher-level vocabulary doesn’t impede understanding of the story at all, and I think confident readers could easily tackle this book on their own.

The best thing about this book, in my opinion, is the educational value. Not only will kids learn new vocabulary, but they’ll get a feel for different parts of speech through examples and repetition. Priscilla’s word lists are not random, but thematically related to what she’s doing at different points in the story. When she’s at the grocery store, she finds words like ‘bread,’ ‘bake,’ ‘carefully,’ and ‘sweet.’ It would be easy to encourage kids to join these related words together into sentences – a great classroom or homeschool activity.

There’s also a nice lesson about friendship and creativity towards the end of the book, when Priscilla receives encouragement to share the words she’s been holding in. She may inspire young readers to start collecting and sharing words of their own!

Overall, I was very pleased with this book. The illustrations are beautiful, the writing is age-appropriate, the educational value is huge, and the lessons are lovely. I can’t see any room for improvement here, so I’m happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend The Word Collector to parents, teachers, homeschoolers, and anyone who wants to inspire a love of words in their children.

The Word Collector
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

It is obvious that you enjoyed reading and reviewing this book. The cover is awesome and I must admit I am tempted to read this book too! You have written a very thoughtful and insightful review. I learned the word 'leprechaun' from my daughter! Children pick some of these words from cartoons and easily relate to them. I had to go check the meaning of the word! Awesome review. Well done!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Neat. I don't ever remember a book teaching about the different types of words when I wss growing up. I love the thought. Thanks for another good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a great book. Just based on the cover, I have to agree with you that the style of illustration seems really nice.
BookishCreature

Thank you guys! I really enjoyed reviewing this one after a string of not-so-pleasant reviews. :P
Lisa19643
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa19643.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Lisa19643 »

Thanks for the review. You're right. The illustrations are adorable. What a great way to help young kids learn new words. Your review encouraged me to pick one up for my cousin's young daughter. Great review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Awesome idea for a book. This book will be awesome in teaching kids about the vast world of words. Thanks for your review.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

That is such a cute concept! I'm glad the illustrations hold up, too. I definitely hope my kids love words as much as I do; I'll have to keep this one in mind.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can feel you! Sounds very interesting and enjoyable with learning. I think the kids will love it. The book is well illustrated and the story is eye catching. Neat review! Thank you.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Ooooh! I think my little daughter would love this one! She is almost seven, and c'mon, an ostrich!? How cute and original is that!? :wink2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
BookishCreature

Right?? I'm totally down for a world of bird people. :)
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! This is such an adorable book. I definitely see myself reading this to my son. It has a very good storyline and such an eye-catching cover.Thanks again for your review!
Yousoph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yousoph »

I love this book!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I loved your review, I guess I will get this book for my little niecey! I think its a great idea to widen childrens' vocabulary especially if they have fun while learning.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I love the concept of this book and I agree it is a good way for children to expand their vocabulary. Based on the cover, the illustrations are gorgeous.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Children's Books”