Review by dphelps1113 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dphelps1113
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by dphelps1113 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by dphelps1113 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you’re out shopping for children’s books, what do you look for when trying to make a selection? I have been teaching for the past six years and still look for a book that would have been attracting to my younger self. In addition to that, I put myself in the place of my students, looking for books that would stimulate their interests as growing four and five year olds. When browsing, you want to select a book that immediately catches the eye and draws you in! Whether it be the catchy title, hooking story, the vibrant colors radiating from the illustrations, or the added real life graphics of various food items! This book by Len Foley chas all of that and so much more! Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is fun and interactive. The author easily stimulates the audience from the beginning to the very end of the book with the tale of a boy named Sigfried trying to find out why his book smells so bad! He comes up with various scenarios that will have you doubling over with laughter!

Having a book with repetition enables the children who are reading or being read to, to have the practice with mastering the skills of learning vocabulary along with master the skill of learning to read. The diction in this book is simple and easy to read. When it comes to teaching a child to sight read, you need rhyme and repetition to aide the children in mastering the concept of memorized reading. With this adorable children’s book,there is plenty of rhyme and repetition. Repeating stories and rhymes allow children to memorize familiar words and phrases, which will lead to the progression of memorized reading. Therefore, memorized reading lays the groundwork for phonetic awareness and the actual reading of words represented in print.

Memorized reading instills the desire to identify those familiar sounding words in print. Using silly words like "potato” and “kato” and food items such as bread, banana and even slices of pizza will make the learning more fun for both the reader and the audience. Adding onto the concept of learning, the author even does a fantastic job of mentioning various colors and using color specific text to reinforce, all in reference to Sigfried trying to figure out why his book smells.

I could easily imagine myself reading this aloud to my group of soon to be kindergarteners. During this time in their lives, their brain is rapidly developing and is open to receiving plenty of stimulation. Len Foley offers just that with this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was vibrant, lively, with a compelling story that is extremely lovable with its simplicity and humor. I would recommend this book for people of all ages! Even though clearly written as a children’s book, it’s hard not to fall in love with the character and simple storyline,regardless of age. The 3 out of 4 rating comes from there not being a real introduction to the character or the setting. Instead, we are told a simple, fun story that leaves a lot to the imagination. For a children’s book, that isn’t a bad thing! We need more of that to encourage this generation to think critically.

Children around the world can use the tale of Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! to help build and strengthen their reading abilities. The author presents a good use of rhyming words and makes it easy to incorporate sight words for preschoolers and rising kindergarteners. Overall, the work and language is reminiscent of the work of many past well known authors. It’s memorable and will have children chanting the words for years to come! This an all around pleasant family book that will be talked about and referenced to for years to come, passed down through generations.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dphelps1113's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”