Review by jennibabe31 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by jennibabe31 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by jennibabe31 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a children's’ book by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon, and Margaret B. Hannon. It is illustrated by Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon. The book has a wonderful lesson to its story.

Puffy is a cat who goes looking for a rat. As he wanders through the woods, he finds other animals. He finds what he thinks is a cat, but it doesn’t meow. What did he find? What kind of mischief did he get into? I guess you’ll have to read the book to find out.

In the beginning of the book, there is a letter from the authors explaining how to use this book as a learning tool beyond the main lesson of the story. This includes talking with children about identifying rhyming words, and asking them what Puffy should have done, as well as a few more helpful ideas. I love the letter explaining these ideas. There is also a coloring page in the back of the book that is to be used as a reward once you have gone over everything with the child. This is a wonderful idea.

The vocabulary does get complicated for a young child with words like ensue, obscene, and scampered. At first I thought this would be a problem. But the letter in the front of the book told me to use this as a vocabulary lesson with the child. This gives the child a greater vocabulary and then the understanding of the book. Therefore, the hard words turned out not to be a problem at all. I also loved that the rhyming words were underlined. While going over rhyming words with the child, the child was able to identify them easily improving their self-esteem.

The illustrations were very child like. They actually looked as if they had been drawn by a young child. Some of the illustrations were actually for the rhyming on the previous page which could be a little confusing at first. An example of this would be when Puffy rested under the mushroom heads, the picture of mushroom heads wasn’t until the following page. But this only happened a couple of times and it intrigued the child to turn the page to find the picture.

I really couldn’t find anything wrong with Puffy and the Formidable Foe. The things I thought would be a problem, the authors alerted you ahead of time in their letter and explained how to use these as a learning tool. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think this would be a great book for any child 3-7 years old.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jennibabe31's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”