Official Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Official Review: Why Can't Uncle Come Home?

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Can't Uncle Come Home?" by Christiane Joy Allison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Can’t Uncle Come Home? is a children’s book written by Christiane Joy Allison and illustrated by Liz Shine. The book is about 5-year-old Timmy and his family as they learn to deal with the wrongful conviction of his uncle. The story starts out with the family all spending time together. Timmy notices something is up when his aunt and mom start talking about something called a trial. He is told that the kids have to stay home because it is not a good place for children. After days of this trial, Timmy’s parents come home crying and tell him that his uncle has to go to jail. Timmy doesn’t want his uncle to go and doesn’t understand why he can’t just come home. Will he ever be able to come to terms with this event?

This book is based on true events in the lives of the author and illustrator. The author wrote this story around the questions that her niece and nephew had when their uncle was wrongly convicted. At the end of the book, the author included a note to parents with this information as well as some statistics on wrongful conviction in the United States. It made me realize that it is a real problem, and children are affected by it. The author wrote this book to help those kids.

The message of this book was very impactful, and the author did a great job of getting it across. It is definitely not an easy topic to sit and explain to kids. The author dealt with it personally, so she is the perfect person to write a book that does the explaining. She used an amazing metaphor to get the idea of a wrongful conviction across in a way that kids could easily relate to. I don’t want to spoil the book by writing the metaphor here, but I was very impressed at how relative it was.

Not only was the message portrayed well, but the book was also very well-written. It was at a great level for kids between the ages of 4 and 10. The little ones could have it read to them, and the older ones could read it with a little guided help. The vocabulary was right at their level with just a few words that would really need some explaining, such as “innocence” and “conviction”. Because of the nature of the story, those words are unavoidable. With the level and flow of this book, parents can really focus on the message with their kids instead of the difficulty of the book.

The illustrations of this book were also great. They were the icing on the cake. Each one had great detail and perfectly matched the part of the story it was correlated with. The text was interspersed throughout the pictures in a great overall format. It all tied together perfectly.

There is nothing to critique about this book. It deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. It took a difficult topic and put it into a relatable, easy-to-read story. I would suggest this book to any families that are dealing with the issue of wrongful conviction or to parents and educators that just want to teach children about this important topic.

Why Can't Uncle Come Home?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's really great to see a first-hand experience account on this incident. Not only does this offer an accurate picture, it also gives a good point to the reader in how to handle difficult situations specially when the kids are involved. Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I don't think that's a message I've seen in a children's book before. I'm glad it was done well. I think it's great that the author wrote it based on real-life events. I hope it helps some children struggling with something similar out there! Thanks for introducing this one to us!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jomarpacaldo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jomarpacaldo »

It's a kind of story that very realistic in which its happening nowadays, but I think its hard for a very young children to understand such that kind of things.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that the author presents such a heavy subject matter to children but does it in a consumable manner.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I think picture books are a wonderful medium for expressing complex and painful truths to children, though it's incredibly hard to break down heavy material in a way that a child will not only understand but internalize without being afraid.

This sounds like a great book for introducing concepts relating to the justice system, and especially to help families dealing with incarceration.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a gem of a book. And it's all-the-better because it's based on real-life events. I also love children's books that have important lessons and this one tackles a pretty heavy subject for a child, doing it well. I don't have any children in my life for whom it would be relevant, but I think I'd like to read it just for my own fortification. Thanks for the introduction!
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I'm glad to see authors writing about difficult subjects like this in a way that is accessible for young readers. In a way it reminds me of the old Mr. Rogers books about divorce, moving away, or dealing with divorce. Thank you for reviewing this book!
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for a wonderful review. The topic is indeed very interesting and I would definitely be interested in reading and seeing for myself how the author managed to make it appropriate for children.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

An excellent review, and this seems like a very brave book for managing to present a subject like this in child-friendly terms. But often I think they can cope with difficult issues better than we give them credit for.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by LanieTaj »

I think i'm gonna consider reading this one. I'm curious on how the author wrote this book that the children may understand. I'm also happy that the author consider the children as her main reader because most of the books nowadays are more on romance.
Cheriy

Post by Cheriy »

I think it's a very good book ,would like to read it
AoifesReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aoifesreview.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by AoifesReview »

Excellent review! I have to admit I'm fascinated with the entire concept of this book. Most Children's books, while educational, tend to focus on more lighthearted topics. This is an extremely niche theme but is one that I am sure is experienced by many children around the world. It's brilliant to see writers approaching incredibly complex and 'adult' issues and turning them into something that a child can understand, relate to and grow from. I also liked that, as you said in your review, there was a little bit of challenging vocabulary that parents may need to assist with. That just adds to the educational element of the book in my opinion.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

This seems like the first of its kind. I cannot recall seeing any book of this nature anywhere. I must commend the author for writing about a very serious, sometimes traumatic experience, especially for the little ones affected, in a way that is palatable for the reader (and listener). It is great that she has found a way to help those who may have been affected by this situation, cope better and understand things that parents sometimes find it hard to explain to their children. We live in a society that is shaped by the notion that "if we don't talk about it, you'll get over it" and how very wrong we are. I really enjoyed reading your review, you did an amazing job!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Its a great way of revealing the harsh realities of the world to children in a diplomatic manner...Fantastic review!

Return to “Children's Books”